Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

*spin off* Recruiters and Lies

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM
  • 50 Replies

What kind of fabled tales were you or your spouse told to get you to sign the dotted line?

DH was already in the Army when we met and married, but he was told when he enlisted in 1997 that his MOS ( Chemical ) didn't deploy *LMAO*

Some of the biggest that he heard as a CO was "I was told I could pick where I went! I want to go to ___________ not Fort Hood!!"

by on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol - I just made a post like this (I deleted it)...  This is what I had:

1 - Your career field doesn't deploy.  (lmao - are they still using this line?)

2 - There's no reason you can't cross train and become a pilot.  (What they told my dh who wears glasses and can't see without them and was later almost laughed at for the thought.)

3 - You can get assigned anywhere you want once you fill out the "dream sheet".  (um, no.  It's anywhere they feel like sending you and when).

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 14, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I don't know DH was in already when I met him. I know when he was a recruiter he didn't lie to people, he didn't see any point in it.

3xangel
by Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Lol! Luckily, we had good recruiters that didn't lie to us.
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM
My husband was told he wouldn't deploy, he's a mechanic, and didn't believe the recruiter. Almost a year after getting in, his unit deployed. They didn't need mechanics there, but they needed gate guards, and that's what he did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Oh yes "normal" hours.... thats one of the BEST!

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Ah yes, the "dream sheet" what big fat lie that is! My DH Wasnt really told any lies when he signed up but I think he had rose colored glasses on when he picked security forces(although I think a lot of 18/19 year old boys aren't really equipped to make career choices but chalk it up as a learning experience I guess). He's a drill instructor now though and I'm shocked at the lies and crap they tell these poor kids and how ridiculously unprepared they are. I'm on the outside looking in though, and I tend to be a planner so I found it shocking he never once considered what would happen when he retired or that he didn't think about "what he would be when he grew up" enough to consider that when choosing his career field. Also, I don't think anybody ever realizes that depending on what you sign up for you may or may not be allowed to retrain. It's not always as easy to get out of what you got into!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Recruiters lie?
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM

The marine corps recruiter told my husband, his MOS, 0311 had short working days, and didn't really deploy much, except to fun places like japan, and Korea, where they would do lots of drinking and have a blast. This was in 2000. His four years in the marine corps he was home a total of 147 days. Did four deployments in the four years, spent a total of 7 months in the field training, and returned home from his third deployment, only to be briefed within a few hours about his fourth one, which would be in just 11 days. mind you he was home for six hours from a 7 month deployment.

when he went navy, the recruiter was honest with him. The Seabees were on a six month home, six month deployed cycle. My dad, a retired master chief, and recruiter, went with him. He had everything in writing that was promised to him by the recruiter. Thanks to my dad he was saved a lot of headaches.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Well, i disnt go with my hubby to the recruiter so no clue what he was told. My brother was, your MOS doesnt deploy, you can go anywhere you want with the dream sheet, you work normal 8-4 hours, and of course, his wife will be paid for leaving behind her job..... Damn wheres my money? Lol
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 14, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Idk.... So far, every #1 spot my husband puts in his BOP (or is this different?) he has gotten, but i know some put elaborate places, where e sticks with local... Minus Germany. And he got that too! Lol. Guess its the Luck of the Irish for him

Quoting jas_momof2:

Lol - I just made a post like this (I deleted it)...  This is what I had:

1 - Your career field doesn't deploy.  (lmao - are they still using this line?)

- There's no reason you can't cross train and become a pilot.  (What
they told my dh who wears glasses and can't see without them and was
later almost laughed at for the thought.)

- You can get assigned anywhere you want once you fill out the "dream
sheet".  (um, no.  It's anywhere they feel like sending you and when).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)