Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

OT: Should Parents Have a School Dress Code?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM
  • 20 Replies

School Wants Dress Code for Parents to Set a Better Example

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

dress codeA school board in Florida thinks it's time to institute a dress code dagnabit. Nothing weird about that, right? School boards have been instituting dress codes for centuries. But, see, this dress code is for the parents, not the students.

School board member Rosalind Osgood feels like it's a fool's errand to try to tell kids to stop wearing things like baggy pants, short shorts, and curlers in their hair when that's exactly how their parents are dressed when they pick them up. "Parents need to lead by example," she said. A fairly difficult sentiment to argue with, but I think Osgood is forgetting something.

While it's an interesting idea (that will doubtfully ever go through), I'm not quite sure how much of a difference it would make if mothers and fathers were, in fact, forbidden from dressing like teenagers when they showed up at school. Because, like kids, the parents would then revert to their old behavior when they weren't on school grounds. I agree that it's utterly ridiculous to expect children to adhere to certain rules that their moms and dads blatantly disregard, but this is an extremely thought out plan. And, with the risk of sounding rude, a complete waste of time.

Many are up in arms about the notion of even thinking about trying to institute something like this on parents, and while, like I said, I don't think it would ever work, I do see where the school board is coming from and their well-meaning intent. I certainly don't think parents need to get dolled up to drop their kids off at school in the morning -- certainly no makeup and coiffed hair required. But think about it: Doesn't it seem ridiculous for a girl to get sent to the principal's office for wearing super short shorts when that's exactly how her mother dropped her off that day? It seems crazy! But I really don't think the school is going to be able to do anything about it. Sure, they can send out a memo, but what's going to happen? Are they going to send Mom to detention? And what if the principal runs into Mom off of school grounds and she's dressed that way?

It's a valiant effort, Ms. Osgood, and one that, in a lot of ways, makes sense. But I think you ought to use your energy for something that actually will make a difference with students, as there are far too many loopholes in this particular plan. 

Do you think parents should stick to "school dress code" when dropping off or picking up their kids?

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I feel like schools don't get to tell adults how to dress. If a parent is going to volunteer in the class and they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Da Police" Okay say something, but short shorts? Curlers? It's not pretty, but they don't get a say in that matter.  This is America still right?

What are they going to do about it? Forbid you from picking up your kid? Call the cops? Call CPS? Horse whip them?

Schools need to get the hell over themselves.

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:23 AM
I agree. I don't even have to get out of my car to pick up or drop off my kids. What difference does it make how I'm dressed? I think it's reasonable to expect parents to be dressed appropriately to volunteer in the classroom but pickup/drop off? Please.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I feel like schools don't get to tell adults how to dress. If a parent is going to volunteer in the class and they're wearing a shirt that says "Fuck Da Police" Okay say something, but short shorts? Curlers? It's not pretty, but they don't get a say in that matter.  This is America still right?

What are they going to do about it? Forbid you from picking up your kid? Call the cops? Call CPS? Horse whip them?

Schools need to get the hell over themselves.

violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:27 AM
My kids aren't in public school, but when I was, my mom didn't even get out of the car at pick up or drop off. How can they dictate what a parent wears in their own car? Are that many parents actually getting out of their car and affecting students dress in the seconds they are seen on school grounds? It seems crazy and ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Reina on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:11 PM

All the moms that either walk or drop off their kids at school are usually dressed properly. There may be a couple of them who show up in PJ's or shorty shorts but that is not the norm, at least not at our school.

I do think there should a dress code for volunteers though.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Honestly? Yes. If you've every picked up school kids from the Fort Hood area you would understand why. At DDs old school you had to physically get out of the car, and trust me, seeing your snake tat slithering its way up to your Vajayvaj was just wrong on so many levels. Not the ink necessarily, but when the shorts you are wearing require you to shave you bikini line ( and she didn't ) its a bit more than people want to see.... especially if you are about 100 lbs over weight. And lets face it, if specific clothing is against rules for the kids, it should be for adults too.....

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM
3 moms liked this

If you are in your car I don't care what you wear. When you show up at a PTO meeting or awards ceremony dressed like a two bit hooker I have an issue. There are 4 year olds present and even worse there are twelve year old boys present. Since people don't use their brains so something has to be done. I don't like being told what to wear but honestly if it is a rule on school property it is their prerogative. You don't HAVE to go on the property.

kmeow
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see why an adult would be wearing anything that violates a school dress code in the first place, especially a paret...

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:04 PM

guess what, most mornings I am in my pjs when I get the kids to school, then I come home, shower, dress and go out to do my job. they can bite me!

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Omg yes! I work at a daycare on base. One parent would wear dresses so sorry when she'd bend over to wash her hands at the sink you could see her butt. Even the kids would comment on that. If you want to dress that way in the club, fine, but not at your child's daycare!
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Pick up / drop off - I don't care and they can't enforce anything anyway - but meetings, assemblies and lunch with your kid?  Put a damn bra on and wear some clothes.  People here are just trashy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN