Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Germany..???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Is anyone stationed in Germany or has been?? I have questions, specifically about the Kaiserslautern community. What is it like?? I was looking at the base housing for Ramstein and its really nice (not the stairwells apartments lol), I heard its a good wait though. My husband is an E-6  (unless he made Master but its the same OHA) and our OHA would be 1445 Euros and the utility allowance would be 770 Euros. How far will that get you house wise and how close to the base?? Also how good is the Utility allowance typically? Is it usually enough or do you end up paying out of pocket? How are the landlords, are they nice to Americans?? 

Also just what is the area like in general? What can I look forward to and what will I miss about America most?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:31 PM

i wasnt in that area, just visited. so no clue. good luck! and I loved Germany and really want to go back. there was so much to see and experince that i felt like i didnt have enough time to do it all!

USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 16, 2014 at 3:56 PM

We are stationed in Europe- though not in Germany. I've been several times though. I've stayed at Ramstein specifically and if you are worried about missing America, that's the place to be. It's very Americanized, and you're within driving distance to all the cool stuff Europe has to offer. You will have more than enough money to live off base. Have you looked on AHRN.com to see what housing is out there? Since we have lived in Europe we have never had to spend outside our allowance for housing, and never spent over our utility allowance. Granted, we are insanely careful and try not to use more electricity than we need, but we don't even come close. I currently live in the most expensive place in the world and can do it, so I bet you can too! ;) 

So, about missing America. When we first moved overseas I missed convenience. You won't have as big of an issue with that because of where you will be stationed. We started out in Spain where things open late, close in the middle of the day for siesta, and aren't open on weekends. There was also no food delivery, and McDonalds for 'take out'. So I missed the ease of being able to go to a 24 hour store when I needed to, or order a pizza after a long day. I've totally gotten used to it though and now when we go back to the States I feel totally overwhelmed with the pace of life. You will have a lot more convenience living in Germany. It's very modern. The pace of life will more than likely still be slower, but I think it's refreshing. I like the 'stop and smell the roses' mentality.  

Just a note- if you dont have Amazon Prime, get it. You will order a ton of stuff off Amazon- from grocery items you can't get overseas to Christmas, and party supplies. Prime pays for itself. 

Most small appliances will not work over here without a transformer (and those suck electricity). It's worth it to sell the US ones before you come and buy Euro appliances while you are here. Your TV, computers, and home theater/stereo equipment should all be fine. You won't need a washer/drier, fridge, freezer, ect here. If it's not in your home the base will provide it. 

Sorry I cannot be more helpful with Kaiserslautern itself, but if you have any other questions on living in Europe, feel free to ask. Congrats on your assignment. Europe is amazing!!

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I moving to Baumholder in June. My son is in Ramstein in the AF. I'm not sure about Ramstein, but anyone stationed at Baumholder that is E6 and below has to live on pot. There isn't a choice as long as housing is available. We plan on living closer to Ramstein than Baumholder, because the Baumholder schools are too small for us. I wish we were going to Ktown. The OHA there is €300 higher than for Baumholder.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM

hated Baumholder

Quoting cocoroo: I moving to Baumholder in June. My son is in Ramstein in the AF. I'm not sure about Ramstein, but anyone stationed at Baumholder that is E6 and below has to live on pot. There isn't a choice as long as housing is available. We plan on living closer to Ramstein than Baumholder, because the Baumholder schools are too small for us. I wish we were going to Ktown. The OHA there is €300 higher than for Baumholder.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 16, 2014 at 4:49 PM
That's what I have heard. That's why we want to live closer to Ramstein. I don't want my kids going to a school with ony 200 kids in 6-12th grades.

Quoting sahmw2010:

hated Baumholder

Quoting cocoroo: I moving to Baumholder in June. My son is in Ramstein in the AF. I'm not sure about Ramstein, but anyone stationed at Baumholder that is E6 and below has to live on pot. There isn't a choice as long as housing is available. We plan on living closer to Ramstein than Baumholder, because the Baumholder schools are too small for us. I wish we were going to Ktown. The OHA there is €300 higher than for Baumholder.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Good luck!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That could be fun..

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM
K town has the biggest population of Americans in de. So I've been told.
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, if I want to go to jail for murder.  My dh just made Ex7.  We are safe.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

That could be fun..

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Apr. 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you get a special allowance for Doritos and chips when you have to live on pot?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

That could be fun..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN