Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Rejoining and Pay Rate

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

If you rejoin the Army after being out for five or so years, do you go in the same pay grade you were before? Or do you start over again as an E1? 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM
You start over, beginning with bct.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you rejoin the Army after being out for five or so years, do you go in the same pay grade you were before? Or do you start over again as an E1? 

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Completely out or in the reserves?  My dh got out for 3 years  and was in the reserves.  When he went back active he was able to go right back in, no additional training, and at he same pay grade.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends. Usually you don't start over as a PVT1 but you usually don't come back in at the same rank either.
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 21, 2014 at 3:41 AM

My husband was in the National Guard, He joined active duty army a couple months after his IRR ended. They brought him back in at the same rank, and the 8 years of guard. He went and reclassed but came in where he left with the number of years he was in the guard.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2014 at 5:24 AM

I honestly had no idea until I read these comments...good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:14 AM

it will depend on what he was before he left and if he can go back into the same job.

DH is CG and got out went Active reserves then 3 years later went back in, he was able to go back in as the same rank but they told him if he was a rank higher he would have lost a rank ( e5 to e4)

but they won't bump someone who is an e4 to an e3.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Love how the assumption is that it's her husband, and not her. Because there's no such thing as female servicemembers, right?

Quoting gunsgirl:

it will depend on what he was before he left and if he can go back into the same job.

DH is CG and got out went Active reserves then 3 years later went back in, he was able to go back in as the same rank but they told him if he was a rank higher he would have lost a rank ( e5 to e4)

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM

If the OP was a little more forth coming in a FAMILIES group the assumption would not have been made- She or HE can come back on to correct me if I am wrong. however your passive aggressive ANON post is uncalled for.

Quoting Anonymous:

Love how the assumption is that it's her husband, and not her. Because there's no such thing as female servicemembers, right?

Quoting gunsgirl:

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this
The rules on this have changed a few times, but I think this is current.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20110320/NEWS/103200314/Some-prior-service-vets-must-attend-basic-again
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
This. The guy we knew separated completely after his first term- he was an E4 I believe, and came back in a different career field and was and E3.

Quoting SusanD: It depends. Usually you don't start over as a PVT1 but you usually don't come back in at the same rank either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)