Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

My pay as a nanny

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies
Ok so I am a navy wife and I am working for a married couple both of whom are in the navy. I nanny for them full time i get to their house at 530 am and dont get off till between 1430 and 15 sometimes the day after the husband has duty he will get home at 11 but at the same time the day he has duty i dont get off till his wife gets off between 16 and 17. So they are giving me $650.00 a month which is about $30 a day which is about $3 an hour. I think that is a good deal for getting the 10, twin 9, and 6 year old ready for school then having the two year old all day. But i just had all 5 of them for spring break and summer is starting soon in june i think and i think for having all 5 of them all day every day i should ask them for minimum wage $7 an hour about $70 a day so like $1,000 a month. So Ive allready had to talk to them about my pay befor and it was very stressful so my question is when should I talk to them about my summer pay? Should i do it now right after spring break while i can explain how much more work it is for 5 kids VS one or should i wait untill this comming pay check or see if they maybe know they should pay me more for all kids all the time and wait.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I honestly don't know much about going rates for childcare, but a lot of the ladies in the group do.  I will tell you that watching 5 children all day every day for a week (spring break) for only $30/day is taking advantage of you.  I wouldn't do that for the summer if I were you.  I'd ask for at least the $70/day you mentioned.  

Again, I'm not the one with experience but I imagine others will chime in:)

Good luck!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:18 AM

Let me add that by reading your title, I thought you meant the MyPay.gov website for our service member's pay information.  I didn't realize you meant your actual pay rate for working.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol opps my bad i didn't think of that i guess I'll change it haha

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Let me add that by reading your title, I thought you meant the MyPay.gov website for our service member's pay information.  I didn't realize you meant your actual pay rate for working.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:20 AM

you are being robbed! A nanny is required by law to be paid at lease min wage- unfortunately tho your stuck, you can ask for a raise but you porbably will not get it

I nannied for a family with 4 kids, from 5:30 am until 4 pm unless the member had duty and then I was there until 8 pm.

I earned 450 a week, got 50 dollars a week in petty cash, got a gym membership, 100 dollars a week for gas and insurance reimbursement and got 2 weeks paid vacation a year- AND i had a 9 page contract.

they are also required to pay taxes on the pay as they are considered Employees now. .

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:29 AM
Well we dont have any kind of contract or written agreement so I'm not stuck i could quit if i wanted to she put on our churches website she needed a full time nanny and i gave her my number when she called she said he was giving their last one between 6 and $700 a month so i thought it would be more toward the $700 but after my first month they only gave me $500 i told them They said between 6 and $700 so im not doing it for less than what they said so now they are giving me 650 but im wondering is i should wait and see if they bring up summer or if when he gets home today i tell him " So having all 5 of them all day was constant work so im just letting you know now that starting July 1St im going to need 7 and hour 1'000 a month."

Quoting gunsgirl:

you are being robbed! A nanny is required by law to be paid at lease min wage- unfortunately tho your stuck, you can ask for a raise but you porbably will not get it

I nannied for a family with 4 kids, from 5:30 am until 4 pm unless the member had duty and then I was there until 8 pm.

I earned 450 a week, got 50 dollars a week in petty cash, got a gym membership, 100 dollars a week for gas and insurance reimbursement and got 2 weeks paid vacation a year- AND i had a 9 page contract.

they are also required to pay taxes on the pay as they are considered Employees now. .

mcclanto
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:35 AM
2 moms liked this

They need to pay you at least minimum wage.  I would ask them to start paying minimum wage or I would quit.  They are taking advantage of you.  I feel you deserve more this summer when you have all five, more than minimum wage.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 21, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I had a feeling you'd chime in since you are so experienced in this.  Good info!

Quoting gunsgirl:

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

What everyone else said about being taken advantage of and being paid at least minimum wage?  They are absolutely right.  They should also be paying taxes as noted.  Sounds to me like you are a really good, reliable nanny. 

I know it's hard to ask/tell someone you need a raise.  It's uncomfortable and women are really, really bad at this (I study women's compensation).  First, you need to decide what you want to be paid for your work.  If it's $70 a day or $1,000 a month, an hourly rate per child, or whatever.   Next, ask them if you can sit down and talk with them about the summer and your schedule.  If you catch them when they are coming in from work-or rushing out the door- they might not give you the attention.  When you sit down with them, have some information ready and just be very fact-based--you want to be fair to everyone, but $30 a day is not enough to care for all of those children, full-time, over the summer. 

You might get some pushback from them, but honestly, I don't think they are going to pay you more on their own; if they were going to pay more, they wouldn't have tried paying you $500 a week in the beginning.  You are being underpaid (you can do some google searches to see what child care goes for in your area) and they are taking advantage of you.  Good luck!

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:07 AM

when I said you were stuck I meant that they will probably not give you raise- meaning your either Stuck working for the agreed amount of time or you quit.

also I would serioulsy recommend getting a contract togther, this will protect you in the long run and there will not be any "he said she said" bullshit that will eventually happen.

did you discuss sick days, paid time off, pay when they go on vacations? what about gas and insurance if you have to transport? over time? responsibilities like laundry, cleaning up, cooking meals ect?

all of this should be spelled out in a contract.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 21, 2014 at 8:31 AM
No we didn't

Quoting gunsgirl:

when I said you were stuck I meant that they will probably not give you raise- meaning your either Stuck working for the agreed amount of time or you quit.

also I would serioulsy recommend getting a contract togther, this will protect you in the long run and there will not be any "he said she said" bullshit that will eventually happen.

did you discuss sick days, paid time off, pay when they go on vacations? what about gas and insurance if you have to transport? over time? responsibilities like laundry, cleaning up, cooking meals ect?

all of this should be spelled out in a contract.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)