Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

PLEASE help me understand.. Military kids..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

We have 2 children 6 and 4. They were 3 and 1 1/2 whenever my husband(their father) joined the Army. We have moved a total of 3 times so far and will probably end up moving again the end of this year.. We have gone from seeing our family and friends every day to living 7,000 miles away. We moved to a foreign country where we knew NOTHING and they are expected to just go with the flow. I have to say my kids have done amazing for all the uprooting we have done to them since we joined the military. And I have been proud of them since day 1. But now I'm curious about the kids who act out I understand that every child is different and every kid acts differently with every PCS and deployment.

But recently we had a family move in close by and they have 2 little ones that are about the same age as my kids. Yesterday their oldest son(5) cussed out my neighbor while she was at the park with her children, husband, and in laws. This afternoon while my kids were in the backyard playing with all the other kids the 2 1/2 year old boy(their younger son) punched my daughter in the face!! I brought both my kids in immediately and we talked about what happened. I wanted to make sure my daughter didn't do anything to provoke it. Turns out my daughter was sharing her bubbles with everyone and the little boy wasn't happy that he didn't get to keep the bubbles to himself so he punched my daughter! I was furious!! This evening the kids were playing outside again and the oldest son kicked my son, my son started yelling at him and then my son pushed him down. The mom came over and talked with us about it and had no idea either of her kids were hitting or kicking other kids. She thought my son hit her child and that was it -____- I know my kids are no angels but when she came to talk with us she put it off as her 2 1/2 year old has a speech delay. My son also had a speech delay at that age but he never resorted to hitting because if he did hit we disciplined him. She also said this was their first move. And I hate judging but when you have not only one bad child but TWO! And you put the blame on anything and everything else. While we were talking her 2 1/2 year old punched another little girl right in front of her! And all she said was boys will be boys! REALLY?! I do NOT agree with boys punching girls at all!

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:16 PM
8 moms liked this

This behavior isn't exclusive to military kids. She just has bad ass kids.

LeJane
by on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Your post made me cringe.     I can not stand parents like this woman.   She should never have had kids.    

I would keep as far away as possible.    If she asks you to do something or get the kids together or whatever,   just tell her that you are busy.     

If you are somewhere that they show up and it becomes necessary,   discipline her kids.   Don't be afraid to tell her child no, stop or whatever.       

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Telling them to stop or saying no is one thing but I wouldn't discipline someone else's child.  That is a whole other can of worms. But I would not let my kids be around them. Have a talk with your kids, let them know that while you don't want to leave the park, you want them to be safe. You can make it up to them later or go some other place. If she asks why your kids never plays with hers? Just tell her the truth, your child was hit by hers and then you witness her child hitting another child. She's in denial and I'm sure it will take many families to diss them before she does something about their behavior. 

Quoting LeJane:

Your post made me cringe.     I can not stand parents like this woman.   She should never have had kids.    

I would keep as far away as possible.    If she asks you to do something or get the kids together or whatever,   just tell her that you are busy.     

If you are somewhere that they show up and it becomes necessary,   discipline her kids.   Don't be afraid to tell her child no, stop or whatever.       

usmarinewife1
by Member on Apr. 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM
I already hate this women. My kids have about a week of totally angry I guess when my husband leaves! Tons of discipline goes on but they are young. I have quad boys age 5 and a daughter age 3. To them dad is leaving and it just hurts so they react by misbehaving.

Seems to me though the neighbor kids just are defiant! That's not acceptable! Personally I wouldn't let my kids play with them. Just so the habit wouldn't rub off!

I don't understand some people's parenting methods or in your neighbors case lack of..
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 22, 2014 at 2:12 AM
3 moms liked this
I am with you. I would have no problem telling the kids they needed to go home, and if their parent came out I would let them know what happened. This is a safety issue and if other kids aren't safe around her children she's going to have to figure out how to get it under control, or keep them with her at all times.

Quoting LeJane:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 22, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't tolerate that for one second.  Those children need to be told that hitting is NOT acceptable behavior.  I would have a serious discussion with the mother about it and if she didn't handle things appropriately with her kids, I wouldn't allow mine around them anymore.  Simple as that.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 6:42 AM
3 moms liked this

As sad as this sounds, those kids learned to hit from somewhere. Kwim?

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 7:59 AM
5 moms liked this

The title of this post bugs me because the behavior you stated isn't created by being "a military kid" it is created and/or continues because of crappy parenting. If a child isn't taught that kicking and hitting aren't ok then they will do it. You said the mom is completely appethetic and makes excuses, that's not the child's fault that is mom's fault. Kids will act like evil-doers if no one stops them and teaches them a better way. I wouldn't let my son play with those kids but honestly he probably wouldn't want to because he doesn't like loud kids or kids that don't follow rules. Plus he'd probably get mad and hit or kick them back so then I'd be taking him inside...but honestly I dont think this is exclusively behavior caused by moving a lot or deployments if mom didn't allow it they'd behave differently. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, this... 

Quoting Molimomma:

The title of this post bugs me because the behavior you stated isn't created by being "a military kid" it is created and/or continues because of crappy parenting. If a child isn't taught that kicking and hitting aren't ok then they will do it. You said the mom is completely appethetic and makes excuses, that's not the child's fault that is mom's fault. Kids will act like evil-doers if no one stops them and teaches them a better way. I wouldn't let my son play with those kids but honestly he probably wouldn't want to because he doesn't like loud kids or kids that don't follow rules. Plus he'd probably get mad and hit or kick them back so then I'd be taking him inside...but honestly I dont think this is exclusively behavior caused by moving a lot or deployments if mom didn't allow it they'd behave differently. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Parents that use the excuse 'boys will be boys' usually have asshole terror kids because they don't feel inclined to parent them. Frankly I wouldn't have my kids playing with her demon spawn anymore.

It's not a military thing, she's a crappy parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)