Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Hard and fast decision

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I have just tonight been given an incredible opportunity. My branch is seeking to send people with my MOS on 120 day ADOS orders for mission support. But I need to decide by Thursday.

If I were single with no kids I would jump at it, but I've never been deployed so I'm also scared (it would most likely be to a dangerous country) . I also feel guilty wanting to leave somewhere for a few months. I don't want to post this on my Facebook. Just found out and DH is asleep. WWYD?!

He said no. Pretty much called me selfish for volunteering and 'wanting to leave the children' for 4 months. We had a huge fight.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amy_dawn
by Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 1:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Pray and seek an answer...and then explain to your husband as soon as possible and ask him to pray over it as well. The right answer is not necessarily an easy or obvious one. And the two of you need to come to a final decision together. He may know right off the bat what the answer (for him) is. I usually do. Good luck...it's not an easy decision, by listen to how the spirit is guiding you.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM
Do it. If you're comfortable with it, and it can help your career then go for it. You and your family will be ok, and it may be beneficial in the long run (that's how I would see it anyway, as the spouse).
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 23, 2014 at 5:09 AM

Pray about it.  Good luck!

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:26 AM

This is my response, too.  Your husband will not be the first man to be home with the kids and if it will help your career, then go for it. 

Quoting USAFamily: Do it. If you're comfortable with it, and it can help your career then go for it. You and your family will be ok, and it may be beneficial in the long run (that's how I would see it anyway, as the spouse).

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Apr. 23, 2014 at 7:41 AM
It's 4 months... I would do it personally. I love my son and am married... but my husband knows I would take a deployment. I think everyone joins with the desire to deploy at least once. I know many people who never deploy and get out who regret not having the opportunity to deploy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM
He would say no right away. My unit is a training unit which is why I've never deployed. I'm a reservist. The last time I was away this long was 90 days for a reclass into my current MOS, but my DD was barely 1 year old. Now she's 7 and I have a 2 year old DS.

DH is not military and would worry so much, not to mention my asking him to be alone with the kids for 120 days. It is a huge thing to ask and such little time to think about it.

But I do want to deploy, I feel everyone should at least once. It would be the best time over the summer since it wouldn't disrupt college classes.

Trying to keep OPSEC but if you watch the news it's pretty obvious where I would go. Another thing to think about with escalating tensions and such.

As a soldier, 4 month deployments don't come around too often. I think I should do it.
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I wouldn't do it. I wish you the best with your decision.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I am not you, but I would probably go.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I would go
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Going would look really good come promotion time (at least in the Marines it would). Your husband will be fine, he should be capable of taking care of his own children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)