Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Homecoming Outfits

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Do you usually dress up for homecoming day?

Dh will be home in a few weeks and I'm thinking about what to wear.  We will most likely have spring weather (60s/70s).  I really don't have anything that would be considered patriotic, and Dh would probably roll his eyes and/or scowl if he saw me wearing a flag t-shirt or something like that (my idea of dressing patriotic is wearing a red t-shirt/tank top with white shorts on the 4th of July).  I'm thinking about a nice short sleeved top (something slightly dressier than a basic t-shirt) with jeans.  I'm not a big dress person, but if I saw something cute and casual, I'd consider a nice spring/summer dress.

As for my boys, I'm thinking of having them wear a t-shirt of Dh's favorite baseball team, but since we're close to Memorial Day, if I see something that resembles a 4th of July t-shirt , I might pick one up for them to wear.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 26, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 26, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I dress comfortably. You don't know how long you'll be standing around waiting, and if you're in high heels and a dress you might be miserable.

I'm not saying show up in PJ's but dress in something you can wear comfortably for several hours.  Last time DH came home from deployment I waited until he texted me that the plane had landed then I drove there, pulled up, had him toss his crap in the car and we left. He doesn't want to hang out there, and I don't either.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM
My kids had "daddy is my hero" shirt that someone made for them. I went in a comfy shirt and jeans. Its was 1 am when i had to be at the gym, so they are lucky i wasnt in pjs with my hair a mess. Lol
usmclife58
by Nikki on Apr. 26, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Wear something you will be comfortable wearing. You will be doing a lot of waiting around. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I'm all about being comfortable!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Something comfortable and cute! Provably a maxi skirt and cardigan because that's my wardrobe these days :).
sweetsouthrnMom
by Member on Apr. 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM

To the most recent:I wore a new pair of jeans that I was in love with, a pair of gold/white glitter flip flops, a red tank top and a white flowy t-shirt...it was comfortable, cute, and patriotic without being over the top. Plus it was rainy and a weird humid day! It was a blessing we didn't have to wait around for too long..but I would definitely say comfort and cute.

LinnyAnne
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I dress nice, because it's a year deployment, I want to look good for my husband. 

Here's the outfits that I wore:

first depolyment:

cute tank top and capri pants

Second deployment 

horrible picture But I wore a black with white polk a dots dress and a red sweater, and heels

DS wore this (I got it off Etsy)

Third deployment

I wore skinny jeans knee high boots, sweater with a scarf.  and DS wore a shirt  that said daddy's boy is here to pick up his hero with jeans, and a long sleeve shirt under it cause it was 15 below outside, and 2 am

B1Bomber
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Wear whatever he most likes to see you wear, unless that includes heels

blahblahblah86
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM
We are Subs, no such thing as homecoming day. Just a "hey come get me."
TAG9lbs
by Member on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Since you didn't mention where the pick up was. A carrier or ship "Homecoming" (not a common thing)

You want to get there first thing in the morning, so you have the closest parking spot cause he is going to want to run out of there as soon as he can. Bring chairs and hope there is a play ground near the pier. You could end up waiting up to 8 hours it can take 2 hrs just to tie the ship up. Then if he isn't getting head of the line privilege it can be another hour.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)