Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How would you feel if another child got hurt at your house? OT

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 22 Replies

We had some friends over on Sunday afternoon for a BBQ.  They've been to our house before, and we love this family.  They have a 2.5 year old with Down Syndrome...he is a precious little boy and Brady likes him a lot!  

Long story short...the little boy fell down on our deck out back and his foot slipped through the opening between the boards on the side rail of our deck.  He started to walk over by the grill, and his parents were on the opposite side of the deck.  They called out to him, asking him to stop and come back, but he didn't listen.  Of course he didn't listen...he's 2.5 years old!  I was sitting at the table and was closer to him than his parents were.  I got nervous as they were telling him to come back and he didn't stop, so I got up from the table to physically get him, and that's when he slipped on the side of the deck where the rail was and his foot fell between the boards.  I was more concerned with the fact he was close to the grill (when my husband had turned it off not long before this happened).  Him falling didn't cross my mind...I was afraid of the heat from the grill!  

Anyways....his right foot/ankle was bruised a little and he cried, but that was it.  He seemed fine a few minutes later.  This morning he was limping so his mom took him to urgent care.  He has a hairline fracture in his ankle and needs a cast!  

I feel SOOO bad for the little guy!  I hate that this happened at our house.  No child has ever been hurt at our house before.  I know accidents happen and that's what the mom keeps telling me.  She's trying to calm me down!  I feel really bad about it and they are totally fine stating that accidents happen and they don't blame us at all.  No one really goes over to the part of the deck where the grill is, and no one has ever gone in that corner and fallen between those rails before.  Brady doesn't go over there, and we don't have people over often to be honest.  

Guess we will try to rig up something in that corner by the grill in case another small child goes over there again.  Brady is too big to fit over there and fall so it never crossed our minds that it could be a safety hazard.

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Poor guy! Accidents happen and of course you feel badly because it happened at your house but it sounds like it was one of those things and it sounds like your friends are taking it in stride. The kid that lives next to my SIL was over playing with my nephews and was screwing around and wouldn't stop after being repeatedly ask by my SIL (the boys are old enough to follow instructions). Long story short, he broke his arm and his asshole parents sued my SIL.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Apr. 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

That's horrible!  Poor pumpkin!  But you're right, accidents happen and unless the kid is in a bubble, there's really no way to keep them safe 24/7.  They find the smallest things we wouldn't give a second thought about and BAM!

I hope he heals fast.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Wow.  Are you serious?  Did they win?

Quoting JMmama: Poor guy! Accidents happen and of course you feel badly because it happened at your house but it sounds like it was one of those things and it sounds like your friends are taking it in stride. The kid that lives next to my SIL was over playing with my nephews and was screwing around and wouldn't stop after being repeatedly ask by my SIL (the boys are old enough to follow instructions). Long story short, he broke his arm and his asshole parents sued my SIL.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

The mom just called me and said her little guy is fine.  He is happy, crawling around and could care in the least about his injury.  He just doesn't like the cast on his foot...that annoys him!  She actually blames herself for the accident...she said they should have been paying more attention.  I'm honestly just glad she isn't upset with us over it.  I've been sick to my stomach this morning.  

Quoting jas_momof2:

That's horrible!  Poor pumpkin!  But you're right, accidents happen and unless the kid is in a bubble, there's really no way to keep them safe 24/7.  They find the smallest things we wouldn't give a second thought about and BAM!

I hope he heals fast.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Poor kiddo, but I agree with the others, stuff happens. That could have just as easily happened at the park or even his house, kids are clumsy.

My youngest got hurt at a friend's house once, she was playing around in the living room and hit her face on their glass topped coffee table and had to get stitches. In a huge fit of irony I was watching the Today show the very next day and they had a segment on the dangers of glass topped tables and children... LOL.  I would feel awful if a kid got hurt at my house of course, but stuff happens.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Accidents happen.... We were sledding at a friends house when my DD took a header in to the side of the house and it KOed her. Ended up calling 911 because she was disoriented and had change in personality o.O My friend was beside herself, she was so upset that bug got hurt! I would NEVER think to sue, or otherwise harm our friendship. Yes DD was hurt at her house, it was not out of neglect, it was simply an accident that no one would have foreseen. She how threatens to make all of the kids wear bike helmets everywhere! LOL

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:44 PM

We have a glass topped table in our living room.  Oops!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Poor kiddo, but I agree with the others, stuff happens. That could have just as easily happened at the park or even his house, kids are clumsy.

My youngest got hurt at a friend's house once, she was playing around in the living room and hit her face on their glass topped coffee table and had to get stitches. In a huge fit of irony I was watching the Today show the very next day and they had a segment on the dangers of glass topped tables and children... LOL.  I would feel awful if a kid got hurt at my house of course, but stuff happens.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Good idea on the bike helmets!

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

Accidents happen.... We were sledding at a friends house when my DD took a header in to the side of the house and it KOed her. Ended up calling 911 because she was disoriented and had change in personality o.O My friend was beside herself, she was so upset that bug got hurt! I would NEVER think to sue, or otherwise harm our friendship. Yes DD was hurt at her house, it was not out of neglect, it was simply an accident that no one would have foreseen. She how threatens to make all of the kids wear bike helmets everywhere! LOL

JMmama
by Kara on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they settled and their homeowners insurance covered the kid's medical bills, if I remember correcty. She was so mad because it wasn't even that it was something on her property that was dangerous. The kid was being a brat. He isn't allowed to come over anymore.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Wow.  Are you serious?  Did they win?

Quoting JMmama: Poor guy! Accidents happen and of course you feel badly because it happened at your house but it sounds like it was one of those things and it sounds like your friends are taking it in stride. The kid that lives next to my SIL was over playing with my nephews and was screwing around and wouldn't stop after being repeatedly ask by my SIL (the boys are old enough to follow instructions). Long story short, he broke his arm and his asshole parents sued my SIL.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM

It's hard not to feel responsible when something happens at your house but an accident is an accident no ones fault really. I would have been more worried about the grill like you, I'm always reminding my son to stay away from the grill even though he gives it a wide berth anyway. It's good that the mom isn't upset with you all. Kids that age thankfully heal real quick and at least he's not letting it slow him down at all! Can you maybe staple some window screen on so a foot cant fit through the rails or is it too close to the grill for that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)