Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Anyone with a green thumb

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm looking to get into planting flowers and starting a LITTLE garden. I dont have green anything. I normally kill plants. At least house plants. What flowers should begin with? With it being springtime, what flowers should I plant?
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sbranom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Where are you at?  Part of it depends on the weather and soil.

Carmalita28
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Southern Illinois
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Pansies will last awhile, until it gets hot. Marigolds are EXTREMELY forgiving and sturdy. Impatients are good for more shady spots but will croak in the sun. 

sbranom
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Marigolds, pansies, petunias, columbines or goldenrods.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 28, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Water once a week welcome spring.gif

Carmalita28
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:14 PM
I think I will try the impatients seeing that I am limited on my space because we rent. The space will be in the back of the house and it does have more shade. I like the marigolds as well. Thanks.

Quoting Molimomma:

Pansies will last awhile, until it gets hot. Marigolds are EXTREMELY forgiving and sturdy. Impatients are good for more shady spots but will croak in the sun. 

Carmalita28
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 3:16 PM
So just water them once a week? Should get any special spray or anything to keep them healthy as well or keep the weeds away?
LeJane
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I suggest going onto pinterest and searching flower gardening.    It is an awesome resource...   

It is so worth the work.    You will love your flowers...  

butterfly

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I really like peonies but they take a couple years for blooms.

24clark
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 1:07 AM

Do you want to grow perinniels (will come up again next year) or annuals (will only last this season but provide god choices for color and blooms throughout the season?) If limited on space Morning Glory's would be a good choice because they climb. Columbines give an interesting flower. Sunflowers grow tall and you can eat the seeds but you may need to offer some support if you plant in a windy spot. Zinnia's come in many colors offering variety. All of these except the Columbine, are annuals. They may reseed themself and come up again next year. I always keep seeds from year to year and replant again. As for watering, just water when they need it. That is when the ground gets dry. These are all plants that like full sun, 6 hrs of sun or more a day.

If you have shady spots, hosta's are great for shade. The bloom is short, but the leaf choices are plentiful and pretty. 

You should keep your garden weed free. No need to worry about feeding the plants but if you choose to, use something like Miracle Grow. If you notice a pest problem, get some Seven to spray on the plant. And when a flower dies, clip it off. This is called "dead heading" and will encourage your plant to produce more blooms.

Ask if you have specific questions. I live in TX now but am from MI and had 17 gardens there for 8 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)