Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Financial Aid

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

I am looking at going back to school to get another Master's degree, since the one I have seems to be completely useless. I was able to get through school the first time with no student loans, so the thought of taking them out now is kinda painful. I know I need to fill out FASFA, but is anyone familiar with any scholarships or grants that could help me out?

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

I'm not sure.  What do you want to go to school for this time?

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Social work.  I have work experience but not the degree, which most jobs look for. 

3xangel
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM
I don't think you can get financial aid if you have a master's degree. Bump for someone with more info!
AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Yeah if you have a degree already you don't qualify for a pell grant.
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:47 AM

There are several resources here: http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/military

Also check out your branch specific organizations (Air Force Aid society, ect) 

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:47 AM

MYCAA

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Good luck!

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM
2 moms liked this
MyCAA only covers associate degrees and certifications, plus you can only use it if your sponsor is E5 or below. I was going to start using a few years ago, then my dh made E6 right around the time they put the rank restrictions on.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

MYCAA

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

There are scholarships for just about anything, you just have to take the time to look for them. There are some absolutely ridiculous ones out there.... example one you must be a red head with freckles and of Irish decent to apply o.O HERE are some other weird scholarships. There are lots for military wives out there too. AUSA was begging people to take them a few years ago, it was only 1000 dollars, but hey that will cover books! Many posts Officer Wives Club offers them. Just gotta go look for them, they don't just stand up and say "here I am!" ( well with the exception of the AUSA one, they guy was standing in the Bank where is office was located BEGGING people to take the money)

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Apr. 29, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I knew that! Spaced off about the associates!

Quoting cocoroo: MyCAA only covers associate degrees and certifications, plus you can only use it if your sponsor is E5 or below. I was going to start using a few years ago, then my dh made E6 right around the time they put the rank restrictions on.
Quoting barrelracer1699:

MYCAA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN