Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Help new to this

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 17 Replies

i was wondering how long it takes to find out where your going to be stationed after AIT my husband comes home i think the first week of july i waas wondering when we may know where he is going?? Also do they help pay for the move we got married a month before he left for the army? and also is it better to live off or on base?? sorry for all the questions im just really confused and looking for help thank you so much!!!

by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM

We found out where we were moving about a week before my dh graduated AIT.  The military will pay to move you.  We have always lived off post.  We just prefer it that way, even when my dh was brand new to the Army. Good luck.  Where is he for AIT?

merandawells
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Well we didnt know if it was better to live off or on base. and he is in Fort Eustis Va and im in Ky where i live at. i really wanna know where he is going and how many days we have to get their and pack everything. i have everything boxed up now im ready to go just worried and still scared about everything we have to do. thank you!!! hope to hear back.

3xangel
by Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:36 PM
We found out a month or two in advance. I suggest living on post when you're low rank, less bills you have to worry about paying.
merandawells
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM

thank you we have talked about living on base and saving up i just hope that the houseing is nice their will be and him and our little girl moving into the house and hopefully one more on the way but what bills do they pay when u live on base??

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Housing will take all your BAH but it will cover the house, electricity, water, and trash. 

Also, they will pay for your move, so the movers do it all. They will pack you up, load it on the truck, and deliver and unload for you. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM

The military gives you a certain number of days to travel based on how far you are moving, and they pay you during those days and for gas.  Housing is a lot nicer than it was when my dh joined, so being on post in the beginning may be best.  We have just never liked being on post.  When you are on post, I think you just have to pay cable, phone, internet.   I think electric, water, trash, etc are included.  They will give you the housing allowance, but will take it right back so you never really have it.  

Quoting merandawells:

thank you we have talked about living on base and saving up i just hope that the houseing is nice their will be and him and our little girl moving into the house and hopefully one more on the way but what bills do they pay when u live on base??

merandawells
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM

well i have everything packed up. I guess when i find out where we are going we will see weather we want to live on base or off. i dont know how much he will get in BAH he is being paid as an E2 i think. thank you guys so much im just really confused and trying to get everything together like i said im still young and want everything to go smoothly. Can u live anywhere off base or do you have to live in certian parts?

LeJane
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I am glad you found this group.   There is alot of knowledge.. 

I have learned alot through them.   My son is in the Air Force...  

merandawells
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I have been looking for some one to talk to and i am glad i am able to ask questions and see what my options are!!! i have a cousin in the air force.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:03 PM
He will probably want to get on the housing waiting list before you get to his duty station.

Quoting merandawells:

well i have everything packed up. I guess when i find out where we are going we will see weather we want to live on base or off. i dont know how much he will get in BAH he is being paid as an E2 i think. thank you guys so much im just really confused and trying to get everything together like i said im still young and want everything to go smoothly. Can u live anywhere off base or do you have to live in certian parts?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)