Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Craigslist

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've been in a love hate relationship with Craigslist the past few days. I have been looking for the girls each a new bedroom suit. Every single one that I found that I liked I would email them, and it would be sold. :( So determined to find each girl a cute set I scoured the freaking CL for hours yesterday.... and thank goodness this morning the two sets I really wanted were not sold! Whoooo Hooooo!!!!! I'm hoping that the one set is as cute as it looks in the pictures..... Its the simple things that are keeping me going at this point, in less than two weeks the movers will be here :P

by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I have never bought from CL, only sold.  Some people annoy the shit out of me.  I was selling a really nice couch and love seat a few years ago.  I got an email asking if I would give it to some broke, college students for free.  I said no and check free cycle.  I hope you like the ones you see today.  Where are you guys moving?

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:06 AM
The movers will be here in two weeks for us and I am opposite of you. I have a baby swing, a baby carrier and a bouncy seat to get rid of. We are going to visit my MIL for a month and a half and by the time we get to our new duty station DS will be too big for the swing and seat. I am asking less than half price on both items that are about 4 months old and barely used and people keep trying to low ball me. Very aggravating. Hope you like the suites in person :)
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM

We are headed to Kansas.... after a lot of jerking around. We're in a house that is less than 1400 sqft and we're moving to house that is more than 3500 sqft. The kids have all be crammed in to one room ( their choice ) The original plan was for the girls to share a room here and for the boy to have his own. Yeah well that worked for a whole week before the complaining started. So in one tiny bedroom I have a set of bunkbeds, a toddler bed and a dresser. I refuse to buy the boy a new set... I painted him an adorable long dresser and he has since colored all over it >:/ so I'm just going to repaint it a dark blue and he's getting the bunkbeds.... I don't trust the little booger to buy him something new(er).

These are the sets that I'm buying. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/fuo/4440942054.html  I have a long dresser that matches this perfectly!

And this one is for the oldest. Its older, but I think she will really like having a desk :)

oldest, http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/fuo/4442571983.html

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell you what I have done in the past to sell something like that on CL. I posted it 5 dollars cheaper than the others listed and it sold quickly. I bought an Ergo carrier for the little one I keep and she hated it. I bought it cheap off of CL for like 40 bucks.... all of the others were selling for 80+ I just got lucky. Anyways, when I re-listed it I posted it for 75 and it sold in less than 20 minutes after I posted it. Do you have a kid to kid consignment store near you? They will pay you cash for your stuff. Might not be as much as you want though. And if you can't sell it, many times woman's shelters are happy to take them as donations. I no longer donate to Goodwill, I donate all of my stuff to the mission. They run the soup kitchen, a tutoring service, and a woman's and childrens shelter. They sell all of their donations WAY under priced.

Quoting mnkymommy08: The movers will be here in two weeks for us and I am opposite of you. I have a baby swing, a baby carrier and a bouncy seat to get rid of. We are going to visit my MIL for a month and a half and by the time we get to our new duty station DS will be too big for the swing and seat. I am asking less than half price on both items that are about 4 months old and barely used and people keep trying to low ball me. Very aggravating. Hope you like the suites in person :)

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM
If I can't sell it then I am going to donate it to a shelter near us. The kid to kid consignment shop here gives you less than a quarter of what it retails at. I paid $200 for the swing and $70 for the seat. With the gas and time spent driving to that side of town I figured I might as well just donate then to the shelter. I just listed them on the local yard sale page too.

Quoting .oOMellyOo.:

I tell you what I have done in the past to sell something like that on CL. I posted it 5 dollars cheaper than the others listed and it sold quickly. I bought an Ergo carrier for the little one I keep and she hated it. I bought it cheap off of CL for like 40 bucks.... all of the others were selling for 80+ I just got lucky. Anyways, when I re-listed it I posted it for 75 and it sold in less than 20 minutes after I posted it. Do you have a kid to kid consignment store near you? They will pay you cash for your stuff. Might not be as much as you want though. And if you can't sell it, many times woman's shelters are happy to take them as donations. I no longer donate to Goodwill, I donate all of my stuff to the mission. They run the soup kitchen, a tutoring service, and a woman's and childrens shelter. They sell all of their donations WAY under priced.

Quoting mnkymommy08: The movers will be here in two weeks for us and I am opposite of you. I have a baby swing, a baby carrier and a bouncy seat to get rid of. We are going to visit my MIL for a month and a half and by the time we get to our new duty station DS will be too big for the swing and seat. I am asking less than half price on both items that are about 4 months old and barely used and people keep trying to low ball me. Very aggravating. Hope you like the suites in person :)

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

This is why I hate selling stuff to people, I usually just give shit away (if I really don't want it) because I can't even deal with people. They try to totally screw you over, or they're weird like 'will you go lower?' I say make an offer I'll tell you if that's good, they go "OH I'm so bad at this just tell me the lowest you'll go!" uhm...no, make an offer or it's the price listed. Some of the things I've sold if I don't get the price I want I'll just keep it, it's not bothering me that badly.

Or they try to talk you down like $5, on what planet is $5 really going to make a damn difference!? I always list things in increments that can be pulled from the ATM (when possible) that way you don't have to go to the store and get change because I certainly won't have it.  I'm not unrealistic with prices, I know a lot of people that are and that bugs me too, no one cares if that dresser cost you $800 20 yrs ago, it's not worth $650 now, be real.

cocoroo
by Coco on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM
4 moms liked this

I love when people try to talk me down before they have even seen what I'm selling.  Why don't they come look and then decide if it isn't worth what I have it listed for?

Quoting mom2jessnky:

This is why I hate selling stuff to people, I usually just give shit away (if I really don't want it) because I can't even deal with people. They try to totally screw you over, or they're weird like 'will you go lower?' I say make an offer I'll tell you if that's good, they go "OH I'm so bad at this just tell me the lowest you'll go!" uhm...no, make an offer or it's the price listed. Some of the things I've sold if I don't get the price I want I'll just keep it, it's not bothering me that badly.

Or they try to talk you down like $5, on what planet is $5 really going to make a damn difference!? I always list things in increments that can be pulled from the ATM (when possible) that way you don't have to go to the store and get change because I certainly won't have it.  I'm not unrealistic with prices, I know a lot of people that are and that bugs me too, no one cares if that dresser cost you $800 20 yrs ago, it's not worth $650 now, be real.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I understand that :( I sell to consignment stores all of the time, and I think that its a bit lopsided the way the "profit" is split. But then again, I'm getting something for it right? I've actually set up my consignment account to donate to the shelter if my items don't sell with in their 60 days. On stop to sell and donate. As a consigner I want top dollar for my stuff, but as a shopper I want a deal! LOL

Quoting mnkymommy08: If I can't sell it then I am going to donate it to a shelter near us. The kid to kid consignment shop here gives you less than a quarter of what it retails at. I paid $200 for the swing and $70 for the seat. With the gas and time spent driving to that side of town I figured I might as well just donate then to the shelter. I just listed them on the local yard sale page too.
Quoting .oOMellyOo.:
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We've bought and sold some stuff on Craigslist, it is annoying on both ends. People here seem to want everything for like a dollar, literally. My husband is remodeling our house, and he pulled up a good amount of laminate flooring, would have been equal to about $600 worth, and posted it for a $100. It was in very good shape. One person was going to buy it for that price, but I guess decided they only wanted to pay $50. He had just gotten another message saying they would buy it for $100, because it was fair. On some other stuff we were getting rid of, I just gave it away. I don't want to deal with the hassle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Apr. 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM
If you were close to me, I would buy it. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN