Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Speach therepy and EFMP

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM
  • 6 Replies
So we found out that my son has this extra flesh or whatever under his tongue that stops his tongue from being able to move to form certain words. Doc put in for oral surgery and then speach therepy. Will he need an efmp for speach therepy? Especially since we will be moving with in a year? I dont really know what efmp covers. I just know that my nephew was on it AND was in speach therepy. Could have been 2 different things for all I know
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I think EFMP is really misunderstood. Yes, your child will be on EFMP but a good way to look at it is we are all on EFMP. Whenever you are medically cleared for an assignment you go through EFMP to determine whether a new medical facility can accomodate you. If for some reason you are denied, but you can provide information showing that your medical needs can be met in that area, you can still go to the duty station. EFMP will allow for your child to get the care he may need. It is such a good program :)  

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I don't know squat about EFMP but the tongue thing you are referring to is called a tongue tie. Some children have tongue tie or a lip tie which basically is extra skin that attaches the tongue or lip to the mouth where it shouldn't. Often this causes babies to have trouble latching with breast feeding or later, can cause trouble with speech. 

sahmw2010
by Beth on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Thing is it isnt attached to the tongue so we never caught it. Its behind the bottom gum about as big as the gum itself. But the tongue isnt attached to it like in tongue tie. This is new to me so no clue if its still called tongue tie or somethibg else. And my husband brought him to see the doctor while i brought the other kids to school, so i didny even get to talk to the doctor

Quoting Molimomma:

I don't know squat about EFMP but the tongue thing you are referring to is called a tongue tie. Some children have tongue tie or a lip tie which basically is extra skin that attaches the tongue or lip to the mouth where it shouldn't. Often this causes babies to have trouble latching with breast feeding or later, can cause trouble with speech. 

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM

My youngest did speech therapy and wasn't on EMFP, not for lack of trying on my part, the morons at EFMP lost the paperwork 3 times, after that I said to hell with that crap. The school covered it and it wasn't any issue.

All EFMP really does is gives respite care in some cases, gives housing priority in some cases, and makes sure you don't get stationed somewhere without needed services...in some cases.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 1, 2014 at 6:00 AM

I agree with Melissa...good luck!

magmainva
by Member on May. 1, 2014 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Although qualifying for EFMP is good, it is a program than is not 100% perfect.  You will have to be very pro-active and do most of the leg work yourself.  It does not guarantee anything.  Even proper medical care.   We are EFMP, three of us in our family, and we are stationed in a place where medical care is available, but extremely mediocre.  You should have an EFMP coordinator that should be qable to help you and guide through the process.  This is something that you can do on your own without your spouse.  Speech therapy is covered.  In some cases, if your child is already three, your local school system can provide speech therapy.  EFMP is not a program that will move a family or the active duty member simply because you follow under EFMP.  Granted, it all depends on the severity of the proble.  Some EFMP families travel to their medical appointments.  You will have to be proactive with the EFMP system and very aggressive.  The system is not 100% perfect.  Best of luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)