Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Paying back separation pay.

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
  • 7 Replies

My husband was asked to not reenlist back in 2011. He was honorably discharged and had a nice separation pay. He started to receive disability pay in 2012. They started taking the disability pay to pay back the separation pay at the end of 2013. We've never been able to understand why this is and the VA isn't much help. Has anyone gone through this? If you have do you know why we have to pay back the separation pay? If I remember correctly we weren't given a choice of separation pay and no disability or no pay and disability. I don't understand the thinking behind this. 

by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM
2 moms liked this
That's exactly how it works. If you take the severance and then claim disability, you have to pay back the severance.
violinjewel
by Julia on May. 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM
This is it exactly. Can't have both, have to choose one or the other. My husband is Guard, and had to choose between drill pay or disability pay. They won't let you have both, and if you take both and they catch it, then you're responsible to pay it back.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: That's exactly how it works. If you take the severance and then claim disability, you have to pay back the severance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Yep - what they said.

somuchlove4U
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Okay. Thanks. I guess some how we missed that bit of information as we were exiting the military. 

Quoting violinjewel: This is it exactly. Can't have both, have to choose one or the other. My husband is Guard, and had to choose between drill pay or disability pay. They won't let you have both, and if you take both and they catch it, then you're responsible to pay it back.
Quoting chrlstoncharmed: That's exactly how it works. If you take the severance and then claim disability, you have to pay back the severance.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Its to help you out till disability kicks in

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 3:32 AM

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 3, 2014 at 4:48 AM

These ladies have it right...good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)