Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you know where you want to go after the military?

Posted by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 35 Replies

DH is a few years from retirement and we have NO idea where we want to settle down afte the military. I guess most people return to their hometown or nearby, but we are most definitely not doing that. Hell no, I escaped that place, I'm not going back! The only thing we do know is the entire state of California is a no for us, so we narrowed it down slightly 1 state down 48 more to knock off the list. Okay not really there are plenty of other states that you couldn't pay me to live in, but still.

I feel like we should have had that decision made by now. I guess we have it more narrowed down than that, we've tossed around ideas but nothing concrete. I guess I'll just have to give it a couple more years and then throw a dart at a map or something. :-P

Do you know where you're going to settle down?

by on May. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on May. 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

My dh has about 10 more years.  We plan on going back to Greenville County, SC.  We escaped NJ and moved to SC back in 2000.  He joined the Army 5 months later.  I stayed in SC through his basic and AIT, and when he went to Korea is went back there not to NJ.  I love visiting NJ, but I could never live there again.  I could also see us moving to Texas, Montana, Wyoming, or central Oregon.  The reason we will probably end up back in SC is because we already have a house there, with a nice yard, and a cheap mortgage.  And, it is big enough for my dh, my father, and myself.  I get custody of my daddy when he gets old, lol.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 3, 2014 at 12:13 PM

We have just over 4 yrs, so we're really slacking. We don't own a house, so I don't even have that as pull for one place over another. I would like to kidnap my dad though so Orlando has a bit of tug there (plus Disney). I really loved GA, but that's mainly because my sister lives there. And I love San Antonio, visited there years ago and it hasn't gotten out of my head since.

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh has about 10 more years.  We plan on going back to Greenville County, SC.  We escaped NJ and moved to SC back in 2000.  He joined the Army 5 months later.  I stayed in SC through his basic and AIT, and when he went to Korea is went back there not to NJ.  I love visiting NJ, but I could never live there again.  I could also see us moving to Texas, Montana, Wyoming, or central Oregon.  The reason we will probably end up back in SC is because we already have a house there, with a nice yard, and a cheap mortgage.  And, it is big enough for my dh, my father, and myself.  I get custody of my daddy when he gets old, lol.

blahblahblah86
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM
My husband is 9 years out. We decided to stay put now and deal with any seperation coming up. We have three small boys, one with Aspergers, and we both felt it was best to have them in one school system. The area is safe and homey and the house we bought will definitely suit us for the long run. Unfortunately, we are 8 hours from family but they are retired military and understand.
Mommy2Bri425
by on May. 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Georgia, Virginia or stay in Kentucky/Tennessee.
DoofusAloofus
by Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

So with you, we're in nearly the same boat. I absolutely don't want to go back to my hometown, and since his family is still at his, I don't really want to go there either. (Not that I have anything against his family, I just prefer not to be THAT close). We can't decide at all. He's from the south and wants to go somewhere with warm weather, preferably beaches. I'm from the upper Midwest and hate hot humid Southern summers and want four seasons. Then there's the fact that our kids are spread out in the Midwest and Southwest. So much to consider! (not to mention jobs, housing market, etc). ugh!

Sorry, I guess that didn't help AT ALL. Just commiserating!

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM
We will be going to NC. DH and I are currently looking for some land to build a house on. DH's family is in NC and I am from MA but could never, ever live there again. I love NC so I am completely ok with living there.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM
We are getting close. Part of us wants to stay here (my hometown) but they tax military retirement here and I'd rather live in a state that doesn't. So far, Kansas is at the top of our list.
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2014 at 1:18 PM

We are both from FL. We own a home there as well, that we currently rent out. We do want to move back to Fl as there's no state tax. But it depends on what jobs are being offered. He has 9 years till his 20, 3 years till he reenlists again, and is already being offered jobs by Cummins, and a local electrical plant here in MD. We will see when time gets closer. I am ready to be done with seasons. I miss year round summer! I figured we wouldn't really worry about it till a year and half out.

USAFamily
by Melissa on May. 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

DH retires in about 3.5 years. We thought we knew where we would end up until we moved overseas. Now we are seriously considering a civilian job in Europe (specifically Copenhagen, Brussels, or possibly Germany somewhere). We love life over here, and I don't think we'll be ready to give it up when it's time for the military to end. 

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

It was the dilemma of where we wanted to end up versus where it would smart for us to end up. It took some research and planning and just plain luck, but I know we made the right choice ... even though I hate this rent house with a passion! haha 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN