Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I Overreact ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
First off, I live in a bad neighborhood and crazy shit occurs too often.
Last night at about 2:30 in the morning I was on my couch and I heard a very loud boom and a bright flash outside of my living room window, it scared the crap outta me. I flew out my front door to see what the hell it was. A few houses down and across the street they were lighting off big fireworks. I was pissed because they must have aimed one wrong for it to come so clos to my house. Plus I had 4 sleeping children. They didn't have to wait until the middle of the night. I just let it go and didn't say anything. They are college kids and I figured they were celebrating the end of the year. But shortly thereafter I heard something in my yard outside my window (people around here know to stay out of my yard) so again I went out the door and saw some people running down the street. Then I noticed one had an American flag wrapped around their body like a shawl and another one was waving one around. I was instantly pissed, they had just been on the block over/behind me stealing people's American Flags then jumped the fence and ran through my yard and down the street. You don't steal people's American flags and you don't mistreat it either. The people behind me never cause problems, they are decent people. I quickly got in my car to see where they went, this time I was calling the police! I drove down the block and just around the corner were about 20 people and at least three flags. It didn't take long and the cops went there (but not before one pulled me over thinking I just leaving where he was headed).
There were a few squads there for quite a while, not sure of the outcome.
Was calling the cops too much? Was my reaction to the stolen flags unreasonable?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2014 at 4:47 AM
Replies (1-10):
Featured Replies
Cafe GroupAdmin
by on May. 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Hi everyone,

This post is now locked.

Please do not personally insult members or fight in the group.

If you have any questions about locked or deleted posts, or if you have a question about the group rules, please send a message to The Cafe Group Admin Team.

Thank you for being a member of this group!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM
3 moms liked this
I would have called the cops due to all the activity. Fireworks at 2:30 in the morning is a no go. And I would also call about the flags. What I wouldn't do is take after them myself at that hour especially with 4 kids in bed. You said yourself its a bad neighborhood.
violinjewel
by Julia on May. 4, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
If it's a bad neighborhood, I wouldn't have ran outside at that hour, or taken off in my car. Did you leave your kids home alone to "chase" them? It all seems odd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on May. 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I would have called the cops over the fireworks at 2:30, not chased down some random group of thugs over a flag.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 4, 2014 at 10:48 AM
5 moms liked this

That doesn't make any sense...  What reasonable person would leave her house at 2:30 in the morning in a "bad neighborhood" leaving her 4 kids alone sleeping?  That was reckless, irresponsible and just stupid...if it even really happened.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 10:58 AM
I called the cops just as I was hopping in my car, the people were down the block before I left so they didn't see me. They don't know who I am and there's traffic up and down the block all hours so they paid no attention to me when I drove past. My intention was to be discreet, which I was, and my name won't appear on any report.

Quoting Anonymous: I would have called the cops due to all the activity. Fireworks at 2:30 in the morning is a no go. And I would also call about the flags. What I wouldn't do is take after them myself at that hour especially with 4 kids in bed. You said yourself its a bad neighborhood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM
I didn't chase them down. They were college students so not the typical run of the mill thugs.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I would have called the cops over the fireworks at 2:30, not chased down some random group of thugs over a flag.

mom2jessnky
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

College students still have access to guns. Also, you got in your car and followed them, that's chasing them down.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't chase them down. They were college students so not the typical run of the mill thugs.
Quoting mom2jessnky:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM
There was another adult with the children. I drove out of the neighborhood very casually and as I drove past the house they were at they didn't even pay attention and the ones who had the flags were nearer to the center of the all the people partying so they didn't have a clue.

Quoting violinjewel: If it's a bad neighborhood, I wouldn't have ran outside at that hour, or taken off in my car. Did you leave your kids home alone to "chase" them? It all seems odd.
mom2jessnky
by on May. 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Also if you live in a crappy neighborhood, you should consider moving, especially since you have children to think about.

I lived in a less than stellar area when I was first married but I didn't have kids. We moved to a better area once we had our first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM
I actually didn't follow them, I dove past where they were.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

College students still have access to guns. Also, you got in your car and followed them, that's chasing them down.

Quoting Anonymous: I didn't chase them down. They were college students so not the typical run of the mill thugs.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)