Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I don't know how to deal with this...

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Other than to just avoid the person. LOL.

I met one of my neighbors a few weeks ago, and they're nice enough people. Their kids are really small 3yo and a baby. So not exactly what I'm looking for since my kids are way older than her's. That seems to be the case around here though everyone has babies and preschoolers and I'm the weirdo with the older kids (there are some older kids just not many). She's feeding me this line that she doesn't know anyone around here and her kid never gets any social interaction with other kids. The people she has met made excuses to no longer hang out with her (I'm seeing why now).  I told her my kids wouldn't mind playing with her kid here and there, they're good with little kids, but we're pretty busy so it wouldn't be very often.

I had them over once and the mom just does stuff I'm not cool with. I guess her idea of socializing her 3yo is letting the kid terrorize my kids. Her kid was sitting there beating my kid with a stuffed animal and mom goes "Since it doesn't hurt, it's okay!" Uhm...no lady it's not. I took away the animal and said "if we can't be nice we won't have that toy anymore" HINT MOM HINT!!!! nothing. So her kid starts doing that shit to me with a different toy, and I took that away. I don't think it's okay to teach your kid that hitting someone is okay if you feel it doesn't hurt. Based on that logic I can beat her infant with a pillow right? Since it doesn't hurt? Or does it only work if the beater is the younger party? NOT COOL. It SUPER pissed me off.

Then mom is picking up other toys and sticking them in her baby's mouth. ICK. WHY would you do that? You don't know where that toy has been, and I don't want your baby's mung all over my kid's stuff.  Is this something parents do now? Gross. Not to mention some of that stuff was a choking hazard, I don't have little people my kids toys are for those that DON'T stick crap in their mouths.

They're moving away this summer, but until then she's under the impression that I'm going to have them over to hang out all the time so her kid can get socialized. I'm not running a preschool here, and while my kids don't mind playing with a little kid occasionally they don't want to do it full time. Plus we have school, activities, friends their own age, etc. And since I watch a kid all week I don't want to deal with small people that aren't mine after he goes home, neither do my kids.  If the 3yo wasn't a tyrant I could have her over during the day while I have the midget, but I'm not going to sign up someone else' kid to be that kid's punching bag.

I've been making excuses every time she asks me what we're doing. :-/

by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this

You can tell her you just too busy and with summer approaching, you're going to be even more busy...  ?

PinkButterfly66
by on May. 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Or you could tell her that her 3 y/o is a brat and a terror and you don't want him terrorizing your kids any more.  Maybe the truth will open her eyes.

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Honestly, I would go with something like this. Maybe approach it nicely, but let her know what is up. Her kids will never get any socializing and the little brats will turn into bigger brats and bullies.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Or you could tell her that her 3 y/o is a brat and a terror and you don't want him terrorizing your kids any more.  Maybe the truth will open her eyes.

Photobucket

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM

I agree here.  

Quoting usmclife58:

Honestly, I would go with something like this. Maybe approach it nicely, but let her know what is up. Her kids will never get any socializing and the little brats will turn into bigger brats and bullies.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Just tell her you don't want to hang out.
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM
I have a 3 yo and a 3 month old.
No way in hell is my toddler allowed to hit people or abuse toys.
I'm not as fanatical about germs with this baby as I was with my first but I do not put things in his mouth that are not intended to go there ie bottles teething toys.
I'm non confrontational so I would just avoid her.
marinemami07
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:03 AM
If you dont have the nerve to tell her how you feel. Simply stop talking to her. Ignore her calls,texts, or knocks at your door.
I did a few years ago to a neighbor who just didn't get it. Pretty similar situation to yours. We have old kids.
Don't waist your time. Just either tell her or ignore her. She'll get the point.
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM

This! She should be aware that her child's behavior is not appropriate and that you feel uncomfortable with your kids around hers. Either she'll accept your point of view and teach her child not to hit others, or she will stop talking to you all together. Either way, it's a win win right?!

Quoting usmclife58:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)