Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

people who aren't enlisted anymore and try to pull rank

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
I've never thought about this before, it's just never crossed my mind. But my husband was talking about some guy who used to be enlisted and i guess he got out pretty high ranked. That guy was talking to one of my husband's Ssgt's and tried to give him orders and was being very rude, trying to pull rank. The Ssgt said he doesn't need to take orders from him and basically told him to shove it. How common is that for people no longer in the military to pull rank? Do you think it's inappropriate?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 8, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Never came across that...  How does a civilian pull rank?  Although that does not give license for the Ssgt to be rude back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yes it is inappropriate, but it happens all the time!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I'm not sure when he got out, but let's say he got out when he was a Gunny. Now he's an old veteran, no longer enlisted. And when talking to these guys about a program he tried to give them orders and he also REFUSED to talk to anyone that was a Sgt because they weren't high ranking enough for him. I guess he was just very rude in general. I wonder how often previously enlisted people do this, if they do at all.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Never came across that...  How does a civilian pull rank?  Although that does not give license for the Ssgt to be rude back.

kmeow
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM

I've never experienced exactly that, but I did have some guy use it as an excuse to creep on me. He didn't know my husband was Army. He told me I had a great body, and I told him that was absolutely inappropriate, to which he responded "Well, I was in the Army for 11 years. I was a Staff Sergeant, you probably don't know what that is but it's really high, so I just got used to saying whatever I thought since I was in charge."

I told him he really probably shouldn't brag about using his barely NCO status to sexually harass poor lower-enlisted women. He shut right up. Pathetic. He was my boss at the time, too.

I couldn't imagine someone actually trying to pull anything like what you described with someone they knew was a service member.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I can't even think of a situation where this would happen. 

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 8, 2014 at 12:46 PM

That is odd...  I've worked with retired / previous service vets for many years along side military and have never seen it happen.  I'm not doubting it happened - just that I don't think it's common.  At least, from my own experiences.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm not sure when he got out, but let's say he got out when he was a Gunny. Now he's an old veteran, no longer enlisted. And when talking to these guys about a program he tried to give them orders and he also REFUSED to talk to anyone that was a Sgt because they weren't high ranking enough for him. I guess he was just very rude in general. I wonder how often previously enlisted people do this, if they do at all.
Quoting jas_momof2:

lacyleanne
by on May. 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM

It never happened to me when I was in, but my hubby works with alot of civilians. Some that use to be in the military and according to him some of them still hold a high position. (Depending on the job of course) At our previous base, his supervisor was a GS12 and he would have to take orders from her and so would his troops. But I can't imagine any of them talking down to them or only talking to higher ranks.

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM

I don't think that is common.  Although, the retired Sgt Major from my dh's unit works there as a civilian now.  You bet your ass they still follow his orders, lol.  That is a respect thing though.

USAFamily
by Melissa on May. 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I've only seen stuff like that at the pharmacy with retirees lol. They need their meds!!! ;) 

SusanD
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 4:10 PM
My husband experienced something like this the other day...online. He was on a forum for a specific type of motorcycle and he and this guy disagreed on something. The guy was factually wrong about this particular issue and DH told him so. The guy apparently went flipping through DHs profile and posts and found a picture of DHs bike that showed part of his car. You could tell the model, color, and a tiny bit of the plate (2 digits I believe). The guy flipped out on him and told him that he was a "retired para rescue chief master sgt" or some shit and that he was going to call the MPs here at our duty station on my husband because he disrespected him. O.o

Ok...go for it. Old guy Internet thug lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)