Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

navy or airforce which is better for a family?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 148 Replies

my husband want to enlist in the navy or airforce. he is undecided and we want to know which one dosnt require much travel and pays well. Thank you for your advice.

by on May. 11, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM
Either is good. Travel is going to happen with both a lot of different things will determine both. But for good pay he will have to be in for awhile because as seamen or airmen just starting out the pay is low but livable
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2014 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

neither.. the military is the military..

armyvet06
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I have always heard that the navy was very family oriented. My mom was in the navy and also the army and would choose the navy any day. But I'm not sure about the Air Force.
usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 11, 2014 at 7:09 PM
4 moms liked this

There is not thing as a branch "not requiring much travel" and every branch pays the same. Also, there is no such thing as a family friendly branch. If the military wanted its members to have a family, it would be issued. That is more than a saying. You may get a Command who is family friendly, but that is the case in any branch. 

Best bet would be for him to look into jobs and go from there.

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM
Is say AF especially If they end up decommissioning the GW.
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM
I'd
cocoroo
by Coco on May. 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM
All branches pay the same. My dh has been in the Army for 13 years and they have always been family friendly. If you want good pay and not a lot of travel, the military isn't the way to go.
ElenaC08
by on May. 11, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I ment which you think would be best for a family. i understand he will travel but we were wondering which travels less. I know my friends husband in the army leaves for a year at a time.

Quoting usmclife58:

There is not thing as a branch "not requiring much travel" and every branch pays the same. Also, there is no such thing as a family friendly branch. If the military wanted its members to have a family, it would be issued. That is more than a saying. You may get a Command who is family friendly, but that is the case in any branch. 

Best bet would be for him to look into jobs and go from th

ElenaC08
by on May. 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Thank you.

Quoting armyvet06: I have always heard that the navy was very family oriented. My mom was in the navy and also the army and would choose the navy any day. But I'm not sure about the Air Force.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 11, 2014 at 8:37 PM

GW?  What are you talking about?  Totally confused here!  Decommissioning one ship won't affect the entire Navy.  

Quoting SlapItHigh: Is say AF especially If they end up decommissioning the GW.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)