Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

New Air Force Program Gives Airmen 3 Years Off To Start Families

Posted by on May. 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 18 Replies

Amazing New Air Force Program Gives Airmen 3 Years Off To Start Families

by Jenny Erikson 

Military BabyThe Air Force is getting progressive, y'all. The new Career Intermission Pilot Program is going to allow some of the most generous maternity/paternity leave available to American families, by allowing servicemen to take up to three years off in order to start their families.

The program will start later this year, and will allow 20 enlisted soldiers and 20 officers the opportunity to take time out of the Air Force in order to have babies. Airmen (or women -- we're going with the collective mankind here) will enter the Individual Ready Reserve while they're on their family-starting sabbaticals, and upon return to the troops "will be placed in a group of service members with comparable experience."

"Some women leave the Air Force because they want to start a family," Air Force personnel chief Lt. Gen. Samuel Cox said Thursday. "So why don’t we have a program that allows them, in some cases, to be able to separate from the Air Force for a short period of time, get their family started, and then come back in?"

Oh my gosh, this is so awesome! There aren't a lot of things more honorable than serving your country, but there's also nothing more special than starting your family. I bet there are people that have had to choose between the two, or have sacrificed a lot to start a family and continue service in the military.

This would be a one-time offer -- no extra time off for additional kids, but really, once you get the hang of it, it's easier, right? Pfft, OK, parenting is always hard, but at least this program would allow some people to get their foot in the door of family life without worrying about completely sacrificing their careers.

All in all, this sounds like the kind of program that is going to benefit everyone.

What do you think of the Air Force's plan to give moms and dads time off to start their families?

by on May. 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's a bad idea. I wouldn't use it for many reasons. Income, advancement/promotion, time in rank, in 3 years I would have a hard time playing catch up with people who have been active while I was at home not in with the new and procedures. I think the cg had something like this.. I had a neighbor who was married to an other officer and she got out for 2 years. I don't think she made it back (in shape, etc).

myloveismyfaith
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM
I think its a great idea by I'm not sure how well it would work. A lot can change in three years, especially with having a baby. I could easily see issues with people letting themselves go, rather than adhering to the strict physical standards, even if not on purpose. Plus they'd be lost with all the technical and procedural changes going on. Technology doesn't stand still for three years. Unless they somehow kept them up to speed and had physical standard check ins, which seems a bit more work than benefit, the transition back would also seem to me to be king of difficult. Also, what would their income be? If you make a career out of te military and plan on going back in three years it would be difficult to find a civilian job willing to work with the temporary existence and probably maternity leave, while still covering all expenses. On the plus side though I'm sure the families that have this opportunity will enjoy being able to start their lives and still have their careers.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Hmmm....interesting concept.

CountYouTwice
by New Member on May. 16, 2014 at 4:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it is a awesome plan to encourage people to start a family while unemployed. Who comes up with this dumb crap!
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on May. 16, 2014 at 4:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I... I think I will just say nothing.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 16, 2014 at 5:05 PM

lmao!  Truth!

Quoting CountYouTwice: I think it is a awesome plan to encourage people to start a family while unemployed. Who comes up with this dumb crap!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM
4 moms liked this
My parents managed to get pregnant with me and raise me and my brother just fine while dad was ad AF. Really? This what the AF is researching and trying to put in place? They're in the business of studying air and space not the promotion of today's modern family. I think their focus should be elsewhere. This is baffling.

Well....to the girl asking which branch is more family friendly? Here's your answer. Evidently the AF is the way to go. O_o

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If the SM is the main breadwinner, they will still need to work during those years.  Awesome plan AF.

1Choctaw
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

WoW! When I was Active Duty I got the whole....."If the Air Force wanted you to have a family they would have issued you one" LoL... How times change!!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM

o_O

uhm...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)