Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

A TMO tradition??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
I am about at my wits end with this move.

It's one thing after another. When they packed up our stuff on the way out here they forgot so much stuff. Dh and I were trying our best to keep our eye on them but it was difficult because I had my 2 little ones and th movers were running my husband crazy. They were making him do so much! Any kind of wall decorations, curtains, curtain rods, shower curtains, they just skipped right over it and my dh asked them if they were going to pack that stuff and they said if he wanted it packed then HE needed to disassemble it all and take it all down.
Then the driver wanted my dh to sign all the paper work before he even had everything accounted for and got an attitude when dh wouldn't.
We had to be on top of them the whole entire time. They skipped over our entire master bedroom and 2 closets. The excuse was they "forgot".
At the end of the night after it was done and they left, there was still many things in the house they forgot. My little one's training potty, an old hamster cage and the vacuum to name a few.

Something I collect is interesting glass bottles. I paint them and use them for various things. Well a few months back dh and I were at a gas station and I bought a couple 40oz beers to repurpose. Neither my husband nor I drink. I had planned on just pouring out the beer and painting the bottles but I never got around to it. The full bottles sat on a top cabinet shelf in my kitchen since then.

Well, the next morning after the movers left, my family and I were getting ready to hit the road and I went to go throw something in the garbage bin and notice one of those 40oz beer bottles. Empty.

So it looks like they stole alcohol from us and drank it on the job. Nice.

We were nothing but nice to them and gave them as many water bottles as they wanted as well as a big bag of assorted chips to snack on.

Well all that was about a week ago.
Today was the delivery day. Thankfully we moved very close to where my parents live so what we decided to do was have the kids and I stay at my moms house while my dh go unpack with the movers and my step dad take off work after lunch and go meet him there and help him for the rest of the day.

My step dad stopped over here at my moms house around 2 because he went to go pick us up some food.
He tells me the first thing that happened when they got there was the movers were asking my dh if he had a knife. Really guys? You come out here to unpack this stuff and you don't bring a knife?? Of course my dh doesn't have a knife, he doesn't have ANYTHING. Because, ya know, it's all packed.

Then my step dad tells me that the driver had asked my dh to go drive to the store and go get drinks for him and his guys.....
Uhhhh. What? We had no problem offering them drinks and snacks but wow for him to ASK for it? I think that's ridiculous. And at that time, my dh was the only one there so that would have meant he was going to leave the movers there alone with our stuff. Ummm I think not.
It was at that point in the conversation that my step dad arrived and overheard what was going on. He told the guy " sorry sir, I don't think my son in law really feels like driving right now. He just drove 2200 miles to get here." And the guy responds "yea well so did I". Yes no shit asshole, it's YOUR JOB. That's what you are paid to do. And we don't owe you anything! (My step dad didn't actually say all that but he got across the same general idea).

Then the guy tells my step dad that its traditional with military moves that the customer will provide food and drinks.
Thing he didn't know was my step dad is retired military himself and has done this a dozen times.

So just recently my dh gets home and they are all done. I ask him what happened with the whole drink situation and he tells me the guy did not even ask him to go get drinks. He TOLD him. We went to my dh and told him "you need to go drive to the store and get me and my guys some drinks".
Oh hell no.
Like I said earlier, it's no big deal for us to OFFER them snacks and drinks but when they ask for it or straight up TELL the customer to go get drinks? Yea no. If anyone owes anyone a drink, they owe us some damn beer. Smh
Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlpcrusader
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM
We've mobed 5 times now and we were told if things on the wall were not taken down, shower curtain including, that the movers would not pack them, that seems legit.

Also legit on them not moving liquids, we've always had to throw or give away a bunch of stuff.

Though their attitudes sucks ass and I'd be calling their boss.
cocoroo
by Coco on May. 16, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I would be making a complaint.  We provide water and soda, that's it.  We don't feed the movers.  We have had three movers collecting our stuff in the last month for an overseas move.  They have all been very nice and respectful.  

The stuff off the walls, curtains, shower curtains, liquids, batteries, candles, etc usually cannot be packed by the movers.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

hugs I guess-

but they were right everything should have been taken down, you should have left the kids with a friend or at a day care so you could devote your attention to the packing -

your DH is required to file a survey at the end of the move- make sure he puts that they were rude and how terrible you thought they were, the military will not use them if they get enough complaints

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2014 at 7:24 PM
They had no problem moving the liquids. We have a wine collection and that was no problem. They moved the other beer no problem. They didn't say we can't have liquids. We just found the empty beer bottle in the trash the next morning.

Quoting mlpcrusader: We've mobed 5 times now and we were told if things on the wall were not taken down, shower curtain including, that the movers would not pack them, that seems legit.

Also legit on them not moving liquids, we've always had to throw or give away a bunch of stuff.

Though their attitudes sucks ass and I'd be calling their boss.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM
We've always provided a cooler of drinks, chips, and lunch. We take their orders for subs or pizza and DH makes a food run, then we all sit down and eat together and chat, then they get back to work.

Some companies require you to take apart your own furniture and some don't. We always have. I've always had the walls stripped bare and I bubble wrap my own wall art in advance.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I agree here.  Good luck!

Quoting cocoroo:

I would be making a complaint.  We provide water and soda, that's it.  We don't feed the movers.  We have had three movers collecting our stuff in the last month for an overseas move.  They have all been very nice and respectful.  

The stuff off the walls, curtains, shower curtains, liquids, batteries, candles, etc usually cannot be packed by the movers.

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM

We were always told not to take apart furniture because if we do, they are not required to reassemble at the destination.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We've always provided a cooler of drinks, chips, and lunch. We take their orders for subs or pizza and DH makes a food run, then we all sit down and eat together and chat, then they get back to work. Some companies require you to take apart your own furniture and some don't. We always have. I've always had the walls stripped bare and I bubble wrap my own wall art in advance.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 16, 2014 at 8:07 PM

We have them put it in whatever room it belongs in, but we do all the assembling. They're gone faster that way! LOL We also have them put most of the boxes in the garage and not in the house. I don't want my house filled with boxes. I'd rather bring them in when I'm ready. Besides the fact that we have half the garage filled with boxes that will never be unpacked ... Well, at least until we buy our own house. Ai-yi-yi. Can't wait til that day comes!!

Quoting cocoroo:

We were always told not to take apart furniture because if we do, they are not required to reassemble at the destination.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We've always provided a cooler of drinks, chips, and lunch. We take their orders for subs or pizza and DH makes a food run, then we all sit down and eat together and chat, then they get back to work.

Some companies require you to take apart your own furniture and some don't. We always have. I've always had the walls stripped bare and I bubble wrap my own wall art in advance.

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM

For our last move the packing crew was awesome! Almost too fast! And they packed EVERYTHING, I was glad DH and I had pre packed his truck with our personal stuff we were planning on moving ourselves the night before because those guys went through our house like locusts! Unfortunately we had to stay in TLF for 30 days so the unpacking crew was not the same and they were lazy idiots. I fed the packing/driving crew no problem but the unpacking crew I had to do everything in my power not to just kick them out of my house. They didn't even assemble the two most difficult pieces of furniture my son's crib/toddler bed and the entertainment center. Our master bedroom set was a new set so that was delivered by the furniture company that morning and thank God assembled by them! I hate that it's kind if a roll of the dice that some are great, hard working guys and others are lazy, careless idiots.

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM

The email I got today about our stuff being on route said we should not forego the unpack option.  Ummm wrong.  I will not let them unpack my stuff.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

We have them put it in whatever room it belongs in, but we do all the assembling. They're gone faster that way! LOL We also have them put most of the boxes in the garage and not in the house. I don't want my house filled with boxes. I'd rather bring them in when I'm ready. Besides the fact that we have half the garage filled with boxes that will never be unpacked ... Well, at least until we buy our own house. Ai-yi-yi. Can't wait til that day comes!!

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed: We've always provided a cooler of drinks, chips, and lunch. We take their orders for subs or pizza and DH makes a food run, then we all sit down and eat together and chat, then they get back to work. Some companies require you to take apart your own furniture and some don't. We always have. I've always had the walls stripped bare and I bubble wrap my own wall art in advance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)