Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Adoption and housing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Has anyone adopted while in on-base/military housing? If so, how did you handle it? My husband and I are adopting twins, and we currently have one child, and we are in a two bedroom on-base apartment. If it is at all possible, we would like to find a way to get on a waiting list (and hopefully move in) before the twins are home; so we don't have to deal with living in a tiny little place/moving after the twins are born. So I'm hoping someone has experience with this, so I have some information to go on.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2014 at 3:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 18, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Talk to the housing office with all your paperwork from the adoption. Sounds like you should be able to get a 3 possiably 4 bedroom house!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 4:47 AM
According to the website we would qualify for a 4 bed, but I would be more than happy with a 3. The biggest issue is that I'm worried we may not be able to get anything because adoption isn't really set in stone. Technically the birth mom could change her mind at any moment.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

Talk to the housing office with all your paperwork from the adoption. Sounds like you should be able to get a 3 possiably 4 bedroom house!

barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 18, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Then you are most likely out of luck till the adoption is finalized.

Quoting Anonymous: According toTh the website we would qualify for a 4 bed, but I would be more than happy with a 3. The biggest issue is that I'm worried we may not be able to get anything because adoption isn't really set in stone. Technically the birth mom could change her mind at any moment.
Quoting barrelracer1699:

MrsViau
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 4:52 AM
You may not be able to do anything until it is all finalized. But the birth mom can change her mind, then you will have to move twice. Which would suck. Lol. Talk to housing and see what they say. They can give you an idea of when is the best time you can get on the waiting list, if you can get on now or if you have to wait.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 18, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Yep, these ladies have the right advice.  Good luck with everything!

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on May. 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM
You might also want to check with the social worker who is handling your home study and such for the adoption. There are often requirements of bedrooms needed for adoption... Meaning, that you need the space before hand- so if housing on base will not assist then you might need to move off base to a bigger place...best wishes with everything! :)
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 18, 2014 at 9:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I would talk to housing, if they have a 3 bedroom available, and you have all your paperwork lined up they may let you move early.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Here they won't let you until it's finalized.  THEN you can get on the waiting list.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I would talk to housing, if they have a 3 bedroom available, and you have all your paperwork lined up they may let you move early.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on May. 18, 2014 at 2:42 PM
If they won't let you get larger housing until finalization then you should definitely look into off base housing. We finalized 9 months after placement- the process depends a lot on getting a court date and such. And we had to have the space prior to placement...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Thank you for at least sounding like you have some experience, instead of guessing.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Here they won't let you until it's finalized.  THEN you can get on the waiting list.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)