Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Have You Ever Witnessed Police Officers Going Above and Beyond the Call of Duty?

Posted by on May. 31, 2014 at 9:15 AM
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

Police Officers Push Vet a Mile Home After His Scooter Breaks Down

by Sunny Chanel

Police push vetTalk about going above and beyond the call of duty. A 67-year-old Vietnam veteran named Gilbert LaRocque of San Diego was heading home on his motorized scooter last weekend when it suddenly stopped working.

"I didn't know what I was going to do," said LaRocque.

Fortunately for him, a pair of police officers -- Eric Cooper and Milo Shields -- were directing traffic and noticed LaRocque on the side of the road.

The police officers offered to drive him home, but he explained that he really needs his scooter to be mobile and couldn't just leave it there on the street. LaRocque relies on the scooter to get around due to injuries that happened when he was a soldier during wartime.

This is when the police officers saved the day and did something so totally wonderful. They pushed LaRocque in his scooter all the way home ... an entire mile! And it was a harder job than expected.

“We thought it was going to be like pushing a shopping cart, but we were fighting against the transmission the whole time,” said Cooper. "But we definitely wanted to get that guy home.”

While this just happened to occur on Memorial Day weekend, that had nothing to do with them helping a vet out, but it certainly made the moment all the more special.

“Being a veteran myself, I was gracious for his service to our country,” said Shields. “The least I could do was push him. We think about veterans one day a year. We should think about them more.”

What a wonderful thing to do. If only more people helped out vets in need; they not only could use our assistance, but they deserve it.

Have you ever witnessed police officers going above and beyond the call of duty?

by on May. 31, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 31, 2014 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

We're friends with several cops so I know they do plenty outside of what's expected.

24clark
by Member on May. 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM

It is very hard to push a non-working motorized scooter a few feet, let alone a whole mile. What a wonderful deed these two officers did. 

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Not that I can recall.
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:31 AM
I literally laughed out loud

Quoting SlapItHigh: Not that I can recall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:12 AM

why?

Quoting adrianna1043: I literally laughed out loud
Quoting SlapItHigh: Not that I can recall.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 2, 2014 at 5:13 PM

My brother is a police officer. I know of lots of things they do. Sadly, those stories do not get told as often.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I know.  We have several friends who are police officers and fire fighters for that matter...they do above and beyond often, but not many people ever know about them.

Quoting usmclife58:

My brother is a police officer. I know of lots of things they do. Sadly, those stories do not get told as often.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)