Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How do you keep your kids active in the summer?

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM
  • 17 Replies

This is my sons final week of school. He is enrolled in a few week long day camps this summer and we are going on our road trip, but I am looking for ideas to keep him busy the rest of the summer.

If you live in Texas or have ever lived in Texas, you know it is extremely hot during the day so he can't be outside for too long before it becomes dangerous for him (health reasons).

What kinds of activities do your kids do during the summer to keep them busy?

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RKL10
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM
I don't know what age your son is but I found a list of som fun ones. I like the laser one with string a lot :)
RKL10
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Whoops forgot to add the link lol http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/activities-that-will-keep-your-kids-busy-all-sum?s=mobile

Quoting RKL10: I don't know what age your son is but I found a list of som fun ones. I like the laser one with string a lot :)
Reina13
by Reina on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM

He is chronologically 9 but developmentally he is more like a kindergartener.

Quoting RKL10: I don't know what age your son is but I found a list of som fun ones. I like the laser one with string a lot :)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Not sure how much room you have but we have a foam bowling set with 6 pins and little foam bowling ball that my son loves. He also has one of those small trampolines he likes to bounce why watching Disney Junior(saves my couch). We do scavenger hunts too. I bought those foam shapes they sell at craft stores in a pack(we've done pumpkins, stars, hearts, etc) and number them 1-20 and scatter them all over the house then he has to find them in order and hang them up with clothes pins on a line of yarn I tape up to our kitchen island like a clothes line. (That's his favorite game) you could do letters too. 

mlpcrusader
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Our trampoline, park behind our house, friends to run around with, and the community pool. They'll spend all day doing those things, and get mad at me for constantly putting sun screen on tgem...lol, too bad! No screen no play!
TheartAH
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 4:17 AM
When we've lived in hot climates I would take the kids to swim lessons (some have evening classes to avoid the direct sun), splash pads, library, a lot of movie theatres do cheap showings of older movies during the day in the summer w/discounted snacks too, indoor bounce house places or open gym, museums, bowling, sprinklers and kiddy pool in the yard. I had a house full every summer in Florida so we kept busy!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 3, 2014 at 4:41 AM

My son is in therapy 5 mornings/week, and then we usually do something fun each day...park, museum, beach, etc.  

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Depending where in Tx, i loved taking the kids to the river walk and the zoo. We would be in a restaurant or something for a couple hours in the afternoon to beat the heat. I have activity books for the kids to get a jump start on next school year that we work on through out the summer. We take nature hikes, visit museums. I like to teach my kids what they won't learn in school now-a-days
sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I also will google summer crafts for kids, an i find a ton of fun crafts for the kids to do
Jonasmom
by Christina on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM
We lived in the middle of no where Oklahoma. There really wasn't much to do except going to the pool. The kids also like doing crafts, library, and watching movies. Really couldn't play at the park anytime after 8 am.

Right now we can go to the beach, mall, get ice cream or frozen yogurt, watch movies, splash pad, library, pool, sprinklers, crafts, etc.

We also do some school work during the Summer and my son will be doing swim team which is 4 days a week an hour each day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)