Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Volunteering....

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my son has asked what he can DO to help soldiers. I am looking for good ideas. He is 6, 7 in December. I was considering filling out a volunteer form with the USO and finding out if there is anything he and I would be able to do through them. However, I was also interested in suggestions. And from my previous times in this group, I know you ladies have experience in basically everything. 

Thanks in advance!

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bigmomma17
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Maybe doing something like writing cards or mailing care packages? I think in most places you have to be at least 16 to volunteer, and even then you need a parent or guardian to supervise.
jnich4
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:49 PM

He has done both :-/ Also, right now we do not have anyone to send letters to. I looked into the military pen pals site but i do not know how reliable it is. 

That is what I was worried of :( 

Quoting bigmomma17: Maybe doing something like writing cards or mailing care packages? I think in most places you have to be at least 16 to volunteer, and even then you need a parent or guardian to supervise.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 3, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Yeah, other than writing to deployed soldiers and service members, I'm not sure what else he can do since he's so young.  What a good kid you have!

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM
All i can think of is going to.... adoptahero.org i beleive is te site. You can choose male or female soldier and you will get paired up with a deployed soldier to write/send packages too. Beleieve me, they love it. Especially the single soldiers that dont normally get things
sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Once he is a teen, he can do the teen summer program with the Red Cross. And help people that way
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 3, 2014 at 8:21 AM

maybe try calling local vfw, american legions, or finding some non profits groups that help wounded warriors in your area.

He may be to young though

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 4, 2014 at 12:20 AM
If you send care packages, don't send entire boxes of 5 hour energy drinks. Nobody wants that.
MommaEST.99
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:41 AM

If you have a unit locally that is deployed.  Contact that unit and see what those specific soldiers might want or need.  Most care packages are  very generic.  So he could make it personal.   And he could write specifically to those soldiers.  And then when they come home, they'll be local and he could personally meet them.   I would have loved hearing from a kid in my hometown.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM

What a sweet kiddo. You've gotten some great suggestions for things he can do. :)

jnich4
by New Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Hahaha! I will keep that in mind. I have never sent them but I have had them. Gross...

Quoting Anonymous: If you send care packages, don't send entire boxes of 5 hour energy drinks. Nobody wants that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)