Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Deployment homecoming delays.

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM
  • 23 Replies

My husband is making his way home from deployment as we speak. This is not our first rodeo with deployments and I know with the Army that everything is hurry up and wait! My husband called a few days ago and said he will be home sometime Wednesday night, well that is tonight and here I am on the internet and no husband home. I got an email from the FRG saying late Friday night and another email today saying possibly Saturday. I NEVER hold my breath when it comes to dates and time because they change so often. I made the mistake of telling our almost 3 year old son daddy is on his way home and all I hear is "Daddy coming home today?" And having to explain to him that Daddy will be home in a few more days. How do y'all handle the date change and times? 

by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:44 AM

I'm so sorry!!!  I haven't had to deal with that kind of thing.  Hopefully others will have helpful advice to offer.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I know how that is. My ex husband's unit was stuck in Manas 2 weeks waiting to come home! My last deployment we waited 5 hours on the bus outside the gym for the ceremony to start. We were like ugh can we just go in...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:13 AM
I just rolled with it. What can you do? *shrug* As for the kids, I never told them when dad was coming home. It was always a surprise.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:28 AM
I disnt listen to them until i got the call from Rear D telling me to be at the gym at such and such date /time. But there was so manu that they came (and left) in waves. Ive never dealt with a smaller deployment so bo clue if you are informed differently
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Last deployment DH plane broke so they had to sit overnight in Spain then when he got to US soil is was mid-January and he was routed through Newark then Chicago to get to El Paso so with flight delays it took him another 36 hours. We had a not quite 1 yr old at the time so 1 of the guys ended up just driving him home because his last flight was delayed, delayed delayed. I think he showed up around 2 AM. I think originally he was due home just after Christmas but with personel issues and hand off in Saudi and flight issues on the way back he ended up getting home 5 days before our son's first birthday(January 13th). 

I don't even tell my son what time DH is due home when he is working here on a daily basis because he's never close to "on time". I'm usually as vague as possible "He'll be home after lunch but before dinner." Or "not until after bedtime" because I don't want to deal with the meltdown when he's late. He doesn't even know if daddy is working early, late or not at all each morning he just asks "Is Daddy here?" And I say yes or no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM
I got told at the minimart 5 days before my husband was supposed to arrive that he wouldn't and that they had no date! We waited a month until they came home. There were no updates before either, we got a call 3 days before they arrived home.
I felt so bad for my daughter because she was devastated. Also the wife that was due the day they were supposed to come home!
But we made it through and the homecoming was so amazing!
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I just don't tell my kids an exact date that dad is coming home. Makes my life that much easier.

Delays happen and they suck, there's not much you can do about it. So you just deal with it. Just stay really vague with the kiddo "Daddy will be home soon."

Carmalita28
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM
Im sorry to hear that. My DH is air force and deployed now. This is our first together. I hope that doesn't happen to us.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Quoting mrsary: I know how that is. My ex husband's unit was stuck in Manas 2 weeks waiting to come home! My last deployment we waited 5 hours on the bus outside the gym for the ceremony to start. We were like ugh can we just go in...

My BIL was stuck in Manas too for 2 weeks. Was it during the volcano eruption?

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Not sure. It was december 2008.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting mrsary: I know how that is. My ex husband's unit was stuck in Manas 2 weeks waiting to come home! My last deployment we waited 5 hours on the bus outside the gym for the ceremony to start. We were like ugh can we just go in...

My BIL was stuck in Manas too for 2 weeks. Was it during the volcano eruption?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN