Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

If you live on base

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

or maybe if you don't live on base, do you let our kids go to the playground by themselves?  What age did you let them go alone?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:02 AM
I do. They are 6 and 9.
meandmyboys124
by Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM
I don't. But they are 5, 3, and 1.
sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM
I did, they were 6 and 3 (i was watching them but not right at their side) we had the park behind our house and none of the other kids used that one, they walked a little bit down the road to the big park
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 5, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Yes but only because I can see it from my back window, they're 9 & 11.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I live in Norway, no base housing. We let our kids go to the park by themselves, but just started. They are 6&8. I'm not sure I'd let them in the US.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Are you saying there's no crime there or sexual predators?

Quoting USAFamily: I live in Norway, no base housing. We let our kids go to the park by themselves, but just started. They are 6&8. I'm not sure I'd let them in the US.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM
No, but we have one child and she is only four. I cannot see me allowing her to go to the park by herself for a very long time. :)
USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM
6 moms liked this

Not at all, but there is very very little in comparison to the US. I feel much safer in our neighborhood, and know our neighbors fairly well. The culture is just very different.

ETA: I found some statistics and wanted to share. In 2012, there were 30 homicides in the entire country. Of all criminal offences reported, .9% were of a sexual crime. 5% were violent crimes. Norway has a total of 5 million people. (Norway Crime and Safety report, osac.gov)

In comparison, I will use a states because the US is vastly larger and it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Washington States population is a little more than 6 million. In 2012 there were 206 murders, 2,193 rapes and 12,242 assaults. (USA.com)

Yes, my child *could* be in danger. They are very well informed and know what to do in order to be safe. I feel extremely confident in my children, the people around them, and the city we live in to allow them the 1 block walk to the park on their own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting USAFamily: I live in Norway, no base housing. We let our kids go to the park by themselves, but just started. They are 6&8. I'm not sure I'd let them in the US.

JMmama
by Kara on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM
I let my 8 year old go but I can see it from my backyard. I don't let my 6 year old go but I would have let my 8 year old go at 6.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 5, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Overseas is so different from here...  I miss it.

Quoting USAFamily:

Not at all, but there is very very little in comparison to the US. I feel much safer in our neighborhood, and know our neighbors fairly well. The culture is just very different.

ETA: I found some statistics and wanted to share. In 2012, there were 30 homicides in the entire country. Of all criminal offences reported, .9% were of a sexual crime. 5% were violent crimes. Norway has a total of 5 million people. (Norway Crime and Safety report, osac.gov)

In comparison, I will use a states because the US is vastly larger and it wouldn't be a fair comparison. Washington States population is a little more than 6 million. In 2012 there were 206 murders, 2,193 rapes and 12,242 assaults. (USA.com)

Yes, my child *could* be in danger. They are very well informed and know what to do in order to be safe. I feel extremely confident in my children, the people around them, and the city we live in to allow them the 1 block walk to the park on their own.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)