Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Would you (or did you) encourage your kids to join the military?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Would you encourage your children to join the military?

Or do you hope they choose a different career?

None of my kids are interested in joining.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
outtamymynd
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
We're from a long line of military, but that's not really what I want for them. If they do, I will support them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 6, 2014 at 3:10 AM

No but I also didn't discourage them either.They all were always college bound.We asked them to attend college,we paid ,make good grades,graduate then their life ,their career choice.We have supported them in their career choices including one that is military

omerciful1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I encourage my children to follow their dreams, and if military service is a part of that then we fully support it. Our daughter starts college in August and will be doing ROTC and commissioning after she graduates. Our son has expressed an interest in following in his fathers footsteps. All that we have asked is that he attend college first.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

We will encourage our little guy to do whatever makes him happy.  Unfortunately, the military isn't for him, but there are plenty of things that will make him happy in life:)

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
As of right now, my 4yr ds wants to join tue military. First he wanted to fly planes, but now he wants to march like daddy. We will support whichever descion ends up happening when he becomes of age (just a few months ago he wanted to drive a dump truck. Lol)
beccas302
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM

my 16 year old son is thinking about it, but we've asked him to go to college first (since my DH signed his GI bill over to him) and if he was still interested in joining, we'd fully support his decision.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM

If they're interested in it I'll support them, but I wouldn't push it or discourage it.

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Our kids are six and five. At the moment, they want to be a firefighter and a teacher. I am sure it will change 100 times more before they become adults. We will encourage them to do whatever makes them happy, if it's the military life, so be it. 

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM
This. I'm not for or against.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

If they're interested in it I'll support them, but I wouldn't push it or discourage it.

ame19
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I also come from a long line of military. My sister is the only female who joined though. My dad just retired with 32+ years of serive and would have stayed longer, but after 4 years with his boss that no one liked he retired and went civilian. My brother just graduated from a military academy and wants to join. I'm the only one of us 3 siblings that do not want to join. I think about it every once in a while and sometimes regret it. It is what it is though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)