Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Being married to a military member doesn't count

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM
  • 31 Replies
This is the sentiment being promoted in another forum. Because if you're a spouse who hasn't served, you don't know jack shit about what goes on in the military. What are your thoughts?
by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marinemami07
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Odd statement. Whether your a spouse or the active duty you both know & understand the military & the ups & downs. You work together to make it work.
Both have stresses just in different ways.
SusanD
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
I think that is stupid...and I have served.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I agree to a degree.

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't care anymore what other people think. I know what I know.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I don't think anyone would argue that spouses know full well about the ups and downs of military life. That's a given. What is being challenged is the opinions of spouses on military-related current events, such as the Bowe Bergdahl story. 

Quoting marinemami07: Odd statement. Whether your a spouse or the active duty you both know & understand the military & the ups & downs. You work together to make it work. Both have stresses just in different ways.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I think bitches be cray cray.
KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Geez, it depends on the person. I am prior service and now work as a government civilian....

PAmomoffour
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I guess I'd have to read the whole thread to see what they were saying in regards to "military spouses don't know" In regards to being deployed, then no unless you've actually been there right in the thick of it you wouldn't know. But the general how the military works, I'd say spouses have a pretty good idea of what's going on

lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I know the thread you're talking about. I didn't know much, other than the usual talking points, about the military until my son joined the Air Force. All I really know now is not to count on any timeline whatsoever that the military gives and that it takes about at least 20 higher ups to sign off on something before anything gets done. That being said, I'm positive a military spouse has a lot more knowledge that someone not involved with the military at all. To suggest otherwise is completely frigging stupid but the general public is pretty stupid so you've got to consider the source.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

I don't think anyone would argue that spouses know full well about the ups and downs of military life. That's a given. What is being challenged is the opinions of spouses on military-related current events, such as the Bowe Bergdahl story. 

Quoting marinemami07: Odd statement. Whether your a spouse or the active duty you both know & understand the military & the ups & downs. You work together to make it work. Both have stresses just in different ways.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Semi agree. You know a lot but you don't know what it really takes. You only know what it takes to be the spouse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)