Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Iraq Kurds take Kirkuk; Sunni militants surge toward Baghdad

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

I won't paste the full article. It's disturbing to see what is happening there.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/12/us-iraq-violence-idUSKBN0EN0RV20140612

(Reuters) - Iraqi Kurdish forces took control of the northern oil city of Kirkuk on Thursday, after government troops abandoned their posts in the face of a triumphant Sunni Islamist rebel march towards Baghdad that threatens Iraq's future as a unified state.

In Mosul, Sunni militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) staged a parade of American Humvees seized from the collapsing Iraqi army in the two days since the fighters drove out of the desert and overran Iraq's second biggest city.

Two helicopters, also seized by the militants, flew overhead, witnesses said, apparently the first time the militant group has obtained aircraft in years of waging insurgency on both sides of the Iraqi-Syrian frontier.

State television showed what it said was aerial footage of Iraqi aircraft firing missiles at insurgent targets in Mosul. The targets could be seen exploding in black clouds.

Further south, the fighters extended their lightning advance to towns only about an hour's drive from the capital Baghdad, where Shi'ite militia are mobilising for a potential replay of the ethnic and sectarian bloodbath of 2006-2007.

Trucks carrying Shi'ite volunteers in uniform rumbled towards the front lines to defend the capital.

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Terrible :(
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Disgusting

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Deja Vu...

It's really troublesome :(

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

This was my thought:/

Quoting anchorgurl:

Deja Vu...

It's really troublesome :(

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM
Why are we surprised?
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

No surprise. Actually, what surprised me is that no one is really talking about it. Well, except for every angry soldier my husband knows. 

Quoting 4ever-SJ: Why are we surprised?

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:17 PM
I couldn't care less. Didn't care about Iraq when I was there and I still don't care. What did we really think would happen? People really believe that SMs died for something? Cause I knew way back then that it was all for nothing. It's war, though. Nothing's fair.

I am amused by them driving around HMMVs and LMTVs.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Shhhh don't tell that to the civilian population. You'll destroy their delusion that our service members are fighting for their freedom and keeping them safe. 

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: I couldn't care less. Didn't care about Iraq when I was there and I still don't care. What did we really think would happen? People really believe that SMs died for something? Cause I knew way back then that it was all for nothing. It's war, though. Nothing's fair. I am amused by them driving around HMMVs and LMTVs.

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Ha.

I sound nonchalant about it but it's more towards the country and the extremists themselves. I do feel some kind of way about servicemembers who died over there. I think many wanted to make a difference and a lot of them did little by little but overall.....well I guess when I look at it a different way, many died supporting their comrades, not that stinking country. So it wasn't really all for nothing.

Guess I retract my statement. I'm still not surprised and I won't be surprised in 2018 when the same thing is happening in Afghanistan.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Shhhh don't tell that to the civilian population. You'll destroy their delusion that our service members are fighting for their freedom and keeping them safe. 

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: I couldn't care less. Didn't care about Iraq when I was there and I still don't care. What did we really think would happen? People really believe that SMs died for something? Cause I knew way back then that it was all for nothing. It's war, though. Nothing's fair.

I am amused by them driving around HMMVs and LMTVs.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:40 AM

Horrible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)