Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Deployment bucket list

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 12 Replies

Finally got the good news that DH will be moving to a new unit! We knew this unit would deploy and had both accepted the fact. This will be DH's first deployment with kids. Does anyone have recommendations and things to do as a family before he leaves? We have 2 toddler boys and live in Texas. 

We have already decided on family photos and taking the boys to SeaWorld. 

by on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Where in Texas? We just left Ft Bliss. We took the girls to Schlitterbahn Water Park, El Paso Zoo, San Antonio Zoo, did family pictures, went camping in Elephant Butte, NM and went to Sea World. We do lots of family trips like that whether DH is set to deploy or not. His deployment ended up being cancelled since his unit was in the process of demobilizing. Just got word that he'll be leaving later this year though.
vamom21
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Get lots of pics of him and the boys together for them to look through when he's deployed...Have you been to the World Aquarium in Dallas? Texas Rangers Ball park and Dallas Cowboys Stadium are next door to each other...also there is the Dell Diamond Ball Park in Round Rock, TX.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 13, 2014 at 5:39 AM

How much time do you have before he deploys?  That would determine what you can do as a family.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I got nothing other than...I love your puppy.  I'll gladly puppy-sit while you all enjoy some activities.

Hope you get some good ideas :)

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM

We are at Hood. 

Quoting mnkymommy08: Where in Texas? We just left Ft Bliss. We took the girls to Schlitterbahn Water Park, El Paso Zoo, San Antonio Zoo, did family pictures, went camping in Elephant Butte, NM and went to Sea World. We do lots of family trips like that whether DH is set to deploy or not. His deployment ended up being cancelled since his unit was in the process of demobilizing. Just got word that he'll be leaving later this year though.

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM

DH is actually from Dallas, so we have gone to the World Aquarium. I love it. Not sure about a game though. I don't think the boys would sit through something like that. 

Quoting vamom21:

Get lots of pics of him and the boys together for them to look through when he's deployed...Have you been to the World Aquarium in Dallas? Texas Rangers Ball park and Dallas Cowboys Stadium are next door to each other...also there is the Dell Diamond Ball Park in Round Rock, TX.

sbranom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Tentatively, the beginning of next year. 

Quoting darbyakeep45:

How much time do you have before he deploys?  That would determine what you can do as a family.

mnkymommy08
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:59 PM
You are close to a lot of stuff :)

Quoting sbranom:

We are at Hood. 

Quoting mnkymommy08: Where in Texas? We just left Ft Bliss. We took the girls to Schlitterbahn Water Park, El Paso Zoo, San Antonio Zoo, did family pictures, went camping in Elephant Butte, NM and went to Sea World. We do lots of family trips like that whether DH is set to deploy or not. His deployment ended up being cancelled since his unit was in the process of demobilizing. Just got word that he'll be leaving later this year though.

Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:11 PM
I lived at hood for 6 years.. Nothing to do :-(

Google sweet berry farms, Texas.. I think that's the name.. You can go pick your own food certain times of the year..

The museum in Waco has an awesome children's museum in it.. Huge zoo in Dallas..

In the easy gate there's a pretty good park (well used to be, don't know about now)..

Blora.. They have water slides peddle boats and such..

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Jun. 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

If you do a Zoo in the metroplex, go to the Fort Worth Zoo rather than the Dallas Zoo. It is so much better.

The Childrens Adventure Garden at the Dallas Aboretum, Perot Museum of Nature and Science, the Dallas Art District, hiking at the Trinity River Forest, Sundance Square in Fort Worth, Fort Worth Stockyards, Trail riding at Benbrook Stables, Stockyard Rodeo (every Fri and Saturday).

A weekend in Fredricksburg or Luckenbach, a day on the Guadalupe River, a weekend at the beach at Port Aransas,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)