Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I've lived here exactly nine days and she wants me to come to her baby shower?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

We moved in our new home (on base) exactly 9 days ago.  We have met a few of the neighbors, everyone has been nice enough. Our new next door neighbor just invited me to her baby shower! I don't know her or her family.   All I can think of is she's trying to get anothe gift.   Would you go, just to be polite? Or blow her off?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JamieC0403
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I think she was trying to be polite and maybe help you make new friends in the area.  I would go and bring a small-ish gift - an outfit, soap gift set, etc.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:09 AM
This. =)

Quoting JamieC0403:

I think she was trying to be polite and maybe help you make new friends in the area.  I would go and bring a small-ish gift - an outfit, soap gift set, etc.  

AnAnxiousHeart
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:33 AM
This. Why prejudge and assume it is out of greed instead of being a nice neighbor so you can get to know people?

Quoting JamieC0403:

MommaCyn296
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Being that you are new, this would be a nice way for you to meet other spouses. Relax, everyone does not have a hidden agenda. Meet new people.

marinemami07
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
If she invited you, I'd go. It would be a good chance to meet people. But dont go too lavish on a gift, like other poster suggested.
You'll prolly know if this is a person you want to get to know or not. Just within a few hours of a baby shower. Be polite bc she invited you, but just be cautious too
I had a neighbor years back like this & turned out to be annoying !!!!!!
Good luck. Maybe you'll be meeting a great new friend!
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM

This. Get her a pack of diapers and a book for the baby, inexpensive gift, but awesome.

Quoting MommaCyn296:

Being that you are new, this would be a nice way for you to meet other spouses. Relax, everyone does not have a hidden agenda. Meet new people.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM
I think she was trying to be nice. I would go and take a small gift- baby wash and lotion and wipes or something along those lines...it will be a good way to check out your neighbors ;)
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Well baby showers are a good chance to meet other wives. Show up with a small gift (under 10$? )

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I would go and take that chance given to meet others. I was invited to a discovery toys party one time. I didn't know the lady hardly at all but I enjoyed myself. I didn't have to buy anything. Go and mingle. You might meet one person you will click with.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM
9 moms liked this

I think she's trying to include you...  The fact you immediately concluded she wants another gift and is contemplating blowing her off says a lot about you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN