Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Does Anyone Know.....???

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM
  • 12 Replies

i am new to the military life and my husband just received his first orders to Dover AFB in Delaware,,,,

By any chance does anyone know the pet policy when living on base?

what are not allowed on? 

We have a Newfoundland and he is known as the gentle Giant, he is still a little guy but will be growing into quit a big size.... are they strict with size of dog or just type of dog? he is no threat or harmful to anyone, its his size i am worried about and if they wont allow us to have him on base...

..slapping forehead

by on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
He should be fine. It's really the "bully" breeds that aren't allowed. Pitbulls, Rottweilers, etc.
AmayasMommie25
by Member on Jun. 14, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous: He should be fine. It's really the "bully" breeds that aren't allowed. Pitbulls, Rottweilers, etc.

Oh good!!!! i was afraid we wouldnt be able to live on base because our little guy. thank you

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 3:18 AM
Welcome :)
I'd call the housing office just to be sure though.

Quoting AmayasMommie25:

Quoting Anonymous: He should be fine. It's really the "bully" breeds that aren't allowed. Pitbulls, Rottweilers, etc.

Oh good!!!! i was afraid we wouldnt be able to live on base because our little guy. thank you

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 14, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Welcome and good luck!

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Some places restrict size by how much the dog weighs.  If it's a puppy they will take into account the breeds adult average weight.  It's not always by breed alone.  I had two huskies and could not live on base because I could not have a dog over 50 pounds.  One was 52 lbs and we were denied.

Best bet is to call housing there and find out their policy.  It is NOT the same across the board for every base/post.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Aren't the breed restrictions on his orders?
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:23 AM

I'd call the housing for the base there, just from a quick google search most say limited to 2 Walking pets, breed restrictions may apply. But that is usually pitbull, chow, rotties, doberman, etc.

http://www.doverfamilyhousing.com/area-amenities/housing-amenities

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Where as I lived in a housing area before that allowed 1 dog up to 25#, yeah...one of my neighbors had this fucking BEAST of a dog, had to weigh at least 90#, no one said a thing. It was kind of mean to do to the dog since the housing was an apartment complex.

Yeah Cujo here is 25#...when he was born.

¯\\\_(ツ)_/¯
Quoting jas_momof2:

Some places restrict size by how much the dog weighs.  If it's a puppy they will take into account the breeds adult average weight.  It's not always by breed alone.  I had two huskies and could not live on base because I could not have a dog over 50 pounds.  One was 52 lbs and we were denied.

Best bet is to call housing there and find out their policy.  It is NOT the same across the board for every base/post.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Yes, and that's why I told her to call housing to double check.

Quoting jas_momof2:

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Was it grandfathered?  I had a fit when we got to that one place and drove through housing.  One place had three HUGE dogs.  We immediately went to housing and called them out on it and was told they were grandfathered...  Nice...

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Where as I lived in a housing area before that allowed 1 dog up to 25#, yeah...one of my neighbors had this fucking BEAST of a dog, had to weigh at least 90#, no one said a thing. It was kind of mean to do to the dog since the housing was an apartment complex.

Yeah Cujo here is 25#...when he was born.

¯\\\_(ツ)_/¯
Quoting jas_momof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)