Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What's the rudest thing you've ever heard as a military mom?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

What's the rudest thing you've ever heard as a military mom? What do you find most insensitive or not accurate about what people think of your situation?

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:22 AM

nothing I was the perfect wife and a perfect mom :)

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Nothing, I don't pay attention to idiots.

Mommy2Bri425
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Nothing that I can remember.
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Nothing. 

B1Bomber
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm amused by the stereotype of military wives as fat lazy moochers because I have spent my entire life as a dependent (minus three years between college and marriage) and known maybe a handful, if that, that were like that.

The rudest thing is probably "well, you signed up for it" when a wife is complaining about missing or worrying about her deployed husband. Talk about not being helpful!

SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I can't remember anyone saying anything rude.  It may be that I'm not particularly sensitive to comments.

PAmomoffour
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Aren't you afraid he's gonna get shot and die? Yeah that's pretty rude.

And not that military moms have the market on worry and woe, but  "oh I know I missed my child when they went off to college" Uhm really? B/c when they're off to their freshman year they can't call you or text you for weeks/months at a time?

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM

This wasn't aimed at myself personally, but towards a MOPs group I was volunteering at. One of the women was really upset because her and her husband had been TTC and like a month after she found out she was pregnant, they found out her husband was going to WOCS, then a month break, then an unaccompanied tour to Korea, meaning he would miss the first year of the kid's life, and almost two years of their two year old's life.

One of the non-military moms in the group decided to chime in with this gem: "This is why people in the military shouldn't have kids. It's irresponsible."

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

That I'm someone's wife instead of the service member. Even at airports, its funny, they would go to him and shake his hand and he didn't even know how to explain that it was me. He said thanks and moved on but he got so embarrased. When I go to offices on post out of uniform they ask me for my husbands or dad's info. It gets old sometimes.

cueballsmom
by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Not me, but when I was deployed my dh went to the frg for help. He was asked to leave as a male in a group of women made them uncomfortable. Luckily my brigade commander and his wife had no problem helping him out. Still, I'm very uncomfortable around military wives because they seem to all think my dh is diseased because he is a sahd.

Then there is the normal mix up of thinking he's the service member. He has a full facial hair going on, seriously. But my kiddos fix them nicely enough.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)