Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Cry me a river!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm not a huge FB group person, but I'm in a group for CF (Cystic Fibrosis) parents on there.  I usually just read the posts, rarely commenting or posting myself.  This CF mom posts today talking about how she created a GoFundMe account so that she and her husband could fix their vehicles.  She portrayed herself as being this "pitiful mom of a CF child" who is in dire need of money so she can take her CF child to school, appointments, to get meds, etc.   She mentioned that her own sister wouldn't help them, but insead advised them to sell their gaming systems & games in order to help pay for their vehicle repairs.  I agree with her sister.  

I actually commented stating she needs to learn how to manage her money better, and that if you are asking strangers for money, you better be prepared to get the 2nd degree as people work hard for their money and don't give away lightly.  She jumped down my throat.  Then, she commented that they were military.  I was livid!  I can't stand when people misrepresent who they are, what help and coverage they get when it comes to having a medically fragile child with a terminal illness.  She needs to take a class on money management, get a loan or credit card to pay for the vehicle repairs, or better yet...sell all the electronic crap they don't need.  She refuses to sell the child's gaming stuff as "he has CF and it's the only thing he truly enjoys."  Oh give me a break lady.  

Having a child with a terminal illness is no excuse to mismanage money and then expect others to bail you out.  I called her out on "all the medical expenses" they have, being that Tricare covers 99% of all the expenses related to CF.  She ended up deleting the post...probably b/c she knew most of us were right when we didn't support her.

I can't stand when people play the "poor pitiful me" card when they don't have money when it's their own damn fault!  

That's my rant for the day....LOL!

How was your day?

*Let me add that I don't agree with those GoFundMe accounts...it's a horrible company that takes 30% of all donations as a fee, which is a shitty thing to do, and I think there are better ways to raise money for a terminally ill child waiting on a lung transplant or funding a funeral for a 5 year old who just died.  Just my opinion.

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen sista! I hate Gofundme. People want others to help pay for their wedding. No one helped us with ours. Didn't expect them too.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM

A few weeks ago someone told me about a GoFundMe for a cat that needed dental work; it had been abused and needed teeth pulled and some surgery.  I'm a sucker for an animal...so I looked it up and sent a message to the people asking if the cat had its teeth fixed yet (the page had been up for over a month) because I would send money to the vet hospital that was earmarked for this animal's care.  I got back a short, nasty note (at 1:30 a.m.) wanting to know why I was asking about their cat.  Hello?  I took that as a sign that it was a scam. 

I get tired of people playing the "poor me" card when they are just lazy or irresponsible. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

A wedding?  You have to be joking.  That's absurd!

Quoting twinkersmom:

Amen sista! I hate Gofundme. People want others to help pay for their wedding. No one helped us with ours. Didn't expect them too.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

People create all kinds of ridiculous stories on that site to get money...it's really sad to be honest.

Quoting anchorgurl:

A few weeks ago someone told me about a GoFundMe for a cat that needed dental work; it had been abused and needed teeth pulled and some surgery.  I'm a sucker for an animal...so I looked it up and sent a message to the people asking if the cat had its teeth fixed yet (the page had been up for over a month) because I would send money to the vet hospital that was earmarked for this animal's care.  I got back a short, nasty note (at 1:30 a.m.) wanting to know why I was asking about their cat.  Hello?  I took that as a sign that it was a scam. 

I get tired of people playing the "poor me" card when they are just lazy or irresponsible. 

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Yeah, I scoped the website out one day to see what it was all about and there were people on there wanting their Disneyland weddings, trips to some exotic places for honeymoons, etc. Smh

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Create a budget, save your own money, use a credit card, do anything but take money from other people for goodness sake!

Quoting twinkersmom:

Yeah, I scoped the website out one day to see what it was all about and there were people on there wanting their Disneyland weddings, trips to some exotic places for honeymoons, etc. Smh

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

You go, Darby!  :)

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I posted in here about one guy setting up a Go fund me for his retirement!  Pfft...

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm usually super nice and supportive, so I felt sort of guilty in my comments to her, but she was being stupid, and it pissed me off!  LOL!  Lakisha from the hood was about to come out of me!!!

Quoting jas_momof2:

You go, Darby!  :)

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I remember that...ridiculous.

Quoting jas_momof2:

I posted in here about one guy setting up a Go fund me for his retirement!  Pfft...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN