Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I hope my marriage survives the home-buying process

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hell, I hope we both make it out alive! The husbandman and I are just not on the same page. He gets a job in one of the biggest cities in the country and he expects me to find a home with acreage? He must be insane! I don't want to live in a dumpy house in BFE just because it's on a couple of acres. It's bad enough that I hate where we live, I don't want to hate my home, too. Ugh, I want to throw up.

by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM
:( I know the feeling. When we bought, I was working all the time though, so my husband picked our home, for the most part. He liked it a lot in the beginning, but I think I've rubbed off on him over time. I have a great dislike for our home, ever since we closed and moved in. The area has also gotten worse, which makes it even higher on the hating our house. Since getting baby stuff starting to accumulate, I really think the house is too small, and we'll probably have to get a storage unit by the end of the year. Just overall all unhappiness in it all.

Defintely find something you want. I hate this regret, and hate I have for the house. I don't want my husband to feel bad in picking the house, but it's just gotten to the point that I can't hide my distaste for it any longer. I'm hoping we can sell in the next year or so, so we can find something we will both be happy with. Again, good luck in your search.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:14 AM

The house was the one thing I was adamant about. I knew DS & I would be spending WAY more time in it than DH and I was just coming off a HORRIBLE rental I despised and a month in TLF so I put my foot down on where I wanted to live and it was still the prerequisite no more than 20 minutes to the base so DH went along with it and 3 years later I still love where we live so it was worth it. Good luck, hopefully you can find a house you like even if it's not in a city you like!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Did the transfer to Corpus Christi thing not go through? Sorry you are still stuck there in that awful traffic. :-(

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Ugh, sounds like a pain.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM

How is the market in your area? Will your house sell quickly? Hang in there! I've wanted to buy for such a long time and now that it's really happening, I'm kinda freaked out! 

Quoting violinjewel: :( I know the feeling. When we bought, I was working all the time though, so my husband picked our home, for the most part. He liked it a lot in the beginning, but I think I've rubbed off on him over time. I have a great dislike for our home, ever since we closed and moved in. The area has also gotten worse, which makes it even higher on the hating our house. Since getting baby stuff starting to accumulate, I really think the house is too small, and we'll probably have to get a storage unit by the end of the year. Just overall all unhappiness in it all. Defintely find something you want. I hate this regret, and hate I have for the house. I don't want my husband to feel bad in picking the house, but it's just gotten to the point that I can't hide my distaste for it any longer. I'm hoping we can sell in the next year or so, so we can find something we will both be happy with. Again, good luck in your search.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 25, 2014 at 10:58 AM
The market is really good, actually. Our realtor has sold houses all over the metro area in less then a day's time. It helps because there are basically no rentals here. It's easier for most to buy when 1 bedroom apartments, dependent on area, are renting $1000 and up.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

How is the market in your area? Will your house sell quickly? Hang in there! I've wanted to buy for such a long time and now that it's really happening, I'm kinda freaked out! 

Quoting violinjewel: :( I know the feeling. When we bought, I was working all the time though, so my husband picked our home, for the most part. He liked it a lot in the beginning, but I think I've rubbed off on him over time. I have a great dislike for our home, ever since we closed and moved in. The area has also gotten worse, which makes it even higher on the hating our house. Since getting baby stuff starting to accumulate, I really think the house is too small, and we'll probably have to get a storage unit by the end of the year. Just overall all unhappiness in it all.

Defintely find something you want. I hate this regret, and hate I have for the house. I don't want my husband to feel bad in picking the house, but it's just gotten to the point that I can't hide my distaste for it any longer. I'm hoping we can sell in the next year or so, so we can find something we will both be happy with. Again, good luck in your search.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Yes! I need to get out of this horrible rental before it makes me completely insane! I seriously hate it here. Evidently, my must-haves are not lining up with DH's, though. He has this vision of us living out in BFE and I don't. I want to be reasonably close to his office and shopping/medical/ammenities. I guess time will tell who wins this battle! lol

Quoting Molimomma:

The house was the one thing I was adamant about. I knew DS & I would be spending WAY more time in it than DH and I was just coming off a HORRIBLE rental I despised and a month in TLF so I put my foot down on where I wanted to live and it was still the prerequisite no more than 20 minutes to the base so DH went along with it and 3 years later I still love where we live so it was worth it. Good luck, hopefully you can find a house you like even if it's not in a city you like!

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM

It's similar here. I'm bookmarking houses to look at and the next day, they are pending offers. So we're going to need to be open to viewing multiple homes and not get set on just one ... IF we can ever agree. Ai yi yi.

Quoting violinjewel: The market is really good, actually. Our realtor has sold houses all over the metro area in less then a day's time. It helps because there are basically no rentals here. It's easier for most to buy when 1 bedroom apartments, dependent on area, are renting $1000 and up.
Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Quoting violinjewel: :( I know the feeling. When we bought, I was working all the time though, so my husband picked our home, for the most part. He liked it a lot in the beginning, but I think I've rubbed off on him over time. I have a great dislike for our home, ever since we closed and moved in. The area has also gotten worse, which makes it even higher on the hating our house. Since getting baby stuff starting to accumulate, I really think the house is too small, and we'll probably have to get a storage unit by the end of the year. Just overall all unhappiness in it all. Defintely find something you want. I hate this regret, and hate I have for the house. I don't want my husband to feel bad in picking the house, but it's just gotten to the point that I can't hide my distaste for it any longer. I'm hoping we can sell in the next year or so, so we can find something we will both be happy with. Again, good luck in your search.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:15 AM

They gave him more money to stay and his position is secure, so it looks like we'll be here for a while. Ugh. I'm trying to get us north and out of Harris county, though. Speaking of traffic, we had a thunderstorm this morning and my husband said he barely made it to work alive. Drivers here are stupid enough on a clear day ... they lose their minds when it rains. I f'ing hate Texas. 

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Did the transfer to Corpus Christi thing not go through? Sorry you are still stuck there in that awful traffic. :-(

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM
There's a lot of oil jobs up here, and my husband works for an oil company, and he said that's why prices have increased on rentals and such. There's a lot of people moving into CO for those jobs apparently, and they're picking up the rentals and for sale houses. Our realtor usually post on her Facebook page when she sells a house that it went for well above the asking price. Good luck in your search. It sounds just as crazy down there as it is here.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

It's similar here. I'm bookmarking houses to look at and the next day, they are pending offers. So we're going to need to be open to viewing multiple homes and not get set on just one ... IF we can ever agree. Ai yi yi.

Quoting violinjewel: The market is really good, actually. Our realtor has sold houses all over the metro area in less then a day's time. It helps because there are basically no rentals here. It's easier for most to buy when 1 bedroom apartments, dependent on area, are renting $1000 and up.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Quoting violinjewel: :( I know the feeling. When we bought, I was working all the time though, so my husband picked our home, for the most part. He liked it a lot in the beginning, but I think I've rubbed off on him over time. I have a great dislike for our home, ever since we closed and moved in. The area has also gotten worse, which makes it even higher on the hating our house. Since getting baby stuff starting to accumulate, I really think the house is too small, and we'll probably have to get a storage unit by the end of the year. Just overall all unhappiness in it all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN