Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

$10,000 for Disney trip

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

We are going to disney and spending a lot for a week there. With airfare, hotel and rental car, the trip is close to 10K for a family of 6. I'm sort of wishing we had put that big chunk of money into a better trip, like Europe or going out west to California or something. Feels like a lot to dump into amusement parks.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I spent close to $6,000 for a family of three for 5 nights over Spring Break. Sounds about right. Disney ain't cheap.  You haven't even included your food budget into that, unless you got the dining plan. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM

You probably wouldn't have gotten to Europe on $10k.  Flights alone are $1200+ in the summer.  The dollar is worth crap.  Gas is so expensive unless you get it on post.  Rental cars aren't cheap, lol.  I just got to Germany, so I still have sticker shock.  I would rather come here than go to Disney.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jun. 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

We are a family of 6 and have never spent that much, not even close. At any rate have a good time!

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM
Depends on where you go. Portugal, Spain, parts of Italy, Greece- all affordable. I wouldn't rent a car though.

If you have sticker shock in Germany, you'd die here. My rent is 3200 a month. My electric was 700$ last month and we aren't using heat or ac right now. It's insane.

Quoting cocoroo:

You probably wouldn't have gotten to Europe on $10k.  Flights alone are $1200+ in the summer.  The dollar is worth crap.  Gas is so expensive unless you get it on post.  Rental cars aren't cheap, lol.  I just got to Germany, so I still have sticker shock.  I would rather come here than go to Disney.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Holy crap! How do you guys live with such high costs? I assume bah is super high?

Quoting USAFamily: Depends on where you go. Portugal, Spain, parts of Italy, Greece- all affordable. I wouldn't rent a car though.

If you have sticker shock in Germany, you'd die here. My rent is 3200 a month. My electric was 700$ last month and we aren't using heat or ac right now. It's insane.

Quoting cocoroo:

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM
We have a very high oha (the highest in the world) and we also have good COLA, but we are barely scraping by. This has been financially the most difficult assignment we've had. Honestly, the rent and utilities don't get to me- it's the cost of food that kills us. Milk is 10$ for a carton liter, eggs 6$ a dozen, strawberries 20$ (and they are grown locally), bread is just under 10$. It's crazy.

Quoting darbyakeep45: Holy crap! How do you guys live with such high costs? I assume bah is super high?

Quoting USAFamily: Depends on where you go. Portugal, Spain, parts of Italy, Greece- all affordable. I wouldn't rent a car though.

Quoting cocoroo:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:39 PM
Oh my gosh. How much longer are you there?

Quoting USAFamily: We have a very high oha (the highest in the world) and we also have good COLA, but we are barely scraping by. This has been financially the most difficult assignment we've had. Honestly, the rent and utilities don't get to me- it's the cost of food that kills us. Milk is 10$ for a carton liter, eggs 6$ a dozen, strawberries 20$ (and they are grown locally), bread is just under 10$. It's crazy.

Quoting darbyakeep45: Holy crap! How do you guys live with such high costs? I assume bah is super high?

Quoting cocoroo:

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
3 more years :) Just got here! It will be fine, I just have to learn how to make it work. We are normally really good with finances, and pretty stable, so this has been a serious shock to my husband and I. I'm learning how to shop cheaper, and cook everything at home. We do a lot of free stuff (hiking lol). My hope is I leave Norway being incredibly in shape. ;)

Quoting darbyakeep45: Oh my gosh. How much longer are you there?

Quoting USAFamily: We have a very high oha (the highest in the world) and we also have good COLA, but we are barely scraping by. This has been financially the most difficult assignment we've had. Honestly, the rent and utilities don't get to me- it's the cost of food that kills us. Milk is 10$ for a carton liter, eggs 6$ a dozen, strawberries 20$ (and they are grown locally), bread is just under 10$. It's crazy.

Quoting cocoroo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM

No depending on where in Europe, Europe doesn't have to cost anywhere near that.  If you plan it yourself Ireland costs about 1/3 of that for a family of four.   

Quoting cocoroo:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

PS. That is assuming you don't waste money in Europe renting a car.  There is no need to rent a car in almost all of Europe.   

Quoting Anonymous:

No depending on where in Europe, Europe doesn't have to cost anywhere near that.  If you plan it yourself Ireland costs about 1/3 of that for a family of four.   

Quoting cocoroo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)