Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Mommy Cards

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

Hi all!

i was reading an article about how to meet new people at a duty station. We have been at our current duty station so I am not new but it had some great ideas and one was a Mommy Card. They are little business cards that would have you name, child's name, your phone number and email address. They are for if you meet someone new and want to set up a play date or a mommy get together. Everyone I know has a cell phone and most of the time I see Mommy's pulling out their phones to get contact info but I was wondering, How would you feel if someone handed you a Mommy card? I think they are a cute idea but I am wondering how others would receive being handed a contact card? Without bashing what are your thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:47 AM
I think it would be weird.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Um no. Simple as that. It seems desperate to meet people. Plus I'm a private person and I'm not about to give out personal info and info about my son to strangers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Thank you for your honesty. I have never been desperate to meet people and I would hope I would never come off that way! How do you set up play dates without giving out your personal info?

Quoting darbyakeep45: Um no. Simple as that. It seems desperate to meet people. Plus I'm a private person and I'm not about to give out personal info and info about my son to strangers.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I think most people meet a couple times in a casual setting before committing to handing out phone numbers and such.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for your honesty. I have never been desperate to meet people and I would hope I would never come off that way! How do you set up play dates without giving out your personal info?

Quoting darbyakeep45: Um no. Simple as that. It seems desperate to meet people. Plus I'm a private person and I'm not about to give out personal info and info about my son to strangers.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Nope! But then again, i never had issues meeting people. My closest friend here i met at a veterans day parade. Lol
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM
I don't set up play dates. My son is almost 6 years old with a terminal illness and cognitive disabilities. He doesn't like other children so I'm not motivated to do play dates. He's in school and therapy 5 days/ week and that's enough for him:)

Now, when he was younger and I had other "mommy" friends, we would meet at parks or the mall where we could push our kids in the strollers and chat. It was more of a "me time" thing than for my son. The friends I had back then were people I met through my husbands command. Their spouses worked with my DH. Plus I met other moms through my sons therapy clinic as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I think if we had just spent a bit chatting at the park, and you were like "Oh hey, we should get our kids together again: and handed me a card, I would be okay. But if I was just getting a starbucks or something and you gave me a card without any prior conversation it would feel a bit rape-y.

USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel like the mommy card is anti-social. Rather than going through the motions to establish a friendship, you're attempting to bypass the actual friendship making process with a kicky business card. I guess that's what I meant by, I think it's weird.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 27, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I guess for me if I were going to get the cards made I would hand them out in a setting like this: kids are playing and getting along well, I am enjoying conversation with the kids mom. It comes time to leave and we talk about meeting up again and she asks for my number and I tell her I can give you my number to put in your phone or I have a card. Letting the other person choose what works for them? 

Seeing it written out really does seem desperate lol. But I have been in several settings where this has happened where I am exchanging information. 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 27, 2014 at 9:03 AM
The way you worded it in your OP sounded like you'd give out the cards in the grocery store.

Quoting Anonymous:

I guess for me if I were going to get the cards made I would hand them out in a setting like this: kids are playing and getting along well, I am enjoying conversation with the kids mom. It comes time to leave and we talk about meeting up again and she asks for my number and I tell her I can give you my number to put in your phone or I have a card. Letting the other person choose what works for them? 

Seeing it written out really does seem desperate lol. But I have been in several settings where this has happened where I am exchanging information. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)