Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Colorado Springs

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

My husband is really wanting to try to get stationed there after our time overseas. I know what I can read on google, but could you ladies sell me on it? What's it like, weather, temperatures, neighborhoods? Good to have a garden? And if any of you homeschool, are there any homeschool laws we should be aware of?

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
by on Jun. 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this
No experience there but good luck!!!
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Colorado Springs is absolutely beautiful. The area is centered around outdoor activities and there are a lot of affordable neighborhoods in and around the bases. My son is at Buckley but does have to go down somewhat frequently to Peterson. Idk about on base housing but I will tell you the real estate market in Colorado, in general, moves very fast. So if you like something you should be prepared to move on it very quickly. The homeschool contingency is very active and vast. Colorado is a very interesting mix of people at or NOT blend in, you have to try really hard :)

Yuriko_chan
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Thank you! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of living there. It also seens to be an equal distance from both of our families and our friends from our last base. Which to make everyone happy, I guess that's a good thing.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Colorado Springs is absolutely beautiful. The area is centered around outdoor activities and there are a lot of affordable neighborhoods in and around the bases. My son is at Buckley but does have to go down somewhat frequently to Peterson. Idk about on base housing but I will tell you the real estate market in Colorado, in general, moves very fast. So if you like something you should be prepared to move on it very quickly. The homeschool contingency is very active and vast. Colorado is a very interesting mix of people at or NOT blend in, you have to try really hard :)

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Colorado is beautiful. We're not in the Springs, but in Denver. The Springs will always hold a special place in my heart, because my husband and I got married at Garden of the Gods. I don't know much about the housing in that area, but rentals in the whole state are quickly being grabbed up, so you have to be quick on it. Even buying is very fast here. There's tons to do in the whole state, for both adults and children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Yuriko_chan
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:23 PM

It is a really gorgeous area for sure. Do you know how easy it is to have a garden in the backyard? Does it storm a lot? Do you have to adjust cooking times when baking and things like that?

Quoting violinjewel: Colorado is beautiful. We're not in the Springs, but in Denver. The Springs will always hold a special place in my heart, because my husband and I got married at Garden of the Gods. I don't know much about the housing in that area, but rentals in the whole state are quickly being grabbed up, so you have to be quick on it. Even buying is very fast here. There's tons to do in the whole state, for both adults and children.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
You can have a garden. You just have to pay attention to the growing seasons here may vary from where you live now. We had a garden a couple years ago. We get a lot of late spring and summer monsoon type storms, but it depends each day basically. One area will get hit hard, the rest of the state will be dry. Colorado weather is very weird, lol. Cooking and baking also depends, but it isn't hard to find altitude recipes. There are a lot online, and on most instructions if you buy boxed baked goods.

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

It is a really gorgeous area for sure. Do you know how easy it is to have a garden in the backyard? Does it storm a lot? Do you have to adjust cooking times when baking and things like that?

Quoting violinjewel: Colorado is beautiful. We're not in the Springs, but in Denver. The Springs will always hold a special place in my heart, because my husband and I got married at Garden of the Gods. I don't know much about the housing in that area, but rentals in the whole state are quickly being grabbed up, so you have to be quick on it. Even buying is very fast here. There's tons to do in the whole state, for both adults and children.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a garden in my backyard but, and this is waaaay cool, community gardens are absolutely everywhere. I even have one directly across from my house. You really don't need to adjust cooking times or amounts unless you're up in the mountains. Storms are crazy and actually the weather can be crazy. It can be stormy as all hell then in a matter of 5 minutes, completely clear and 20 degrees warmer. There are a ton of parks, we're taking the kids tonight for a picnic dinner tonight. 

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

Yuriko_chan
by Member on Jun. 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm starting to hope we can get stationed there:)

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I have a garden in my backyard but, and this is waaaay cool, community gardens are absolutely everywhere. I even have one directly across from my house. You really don't need to adjust cooking times or amounts unless you're up in the mountains. Storms are crazy and actually the weather can be crazy. It can be stormy as all hell then in a matter of 5 minutes, completely clear and 20 degrees warmer. There are a ton of parks, we're taking the kids tonight for a picnic dinner tonight. 

Quoting Yuriko_chan:

BlackHart
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in the Springs and it is VERY homeschool friendly here. There are so many co-ops you can join, all the libraries have homeschool programs/get-togethers and there are even homeschool programs that your kids can go once a week to help in subjects you yourself might not be strong in as well as participating in sports teams and all that. 

Its beautiful here. The winters aren't too long or too cold (i've lived in MN and AK, haha!) and the summers aren't humid or sticky. 

There is SO MUCH to do outside and so many places to see. Camping, hiking, boating... Farish is in the mountains and is for service members. There is light hiking, fishing, cabins and camping there.

If you need any more info, message me, i'd be glad to help answer what I can.  

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Thought I would ask here. Any info on Steamboat Springs CO? We are thinking about stopping there for a break on our cross country trip. I have been looking online at websites. One had about an alpine slide. l would love to do that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN