Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Husband considering the Army **update

Posted by   + Show Post
I need advice. My husband will be 27 next month and has always had a desire to join the military. He is currently a paramedic and is looking at doing something similar in the military. The Marines would not enlist him as active duty because we have 2 daughters (3y/o & 8 months) but the Army said they would. The recruiter said with his education he would likely enlist as an e-3 and possibly walk right into a combat medic position after training. Does this sound right or is he sugar coating?

Also what has been your experience with transitioning with young children? I'm currently a Sahm but am attending school while family watches our girls and I won't have that luxury on base. What is daycare like? Housing? Wait lists? Is the Army a good choice?

Any advice would be great!

**We spoke with a Navy recruiter today. They said we'd have to have a waiver for 3 dependents but he didn't see an issue. Dh scored well on the practice test and eventually the conversation led to Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I feel comfortable with choice. It can be contracted in his enlistment papers, and it would be up to him to pass the 2 years of training. The attrition rate is about 22%. There are other interests to him as well in the Navy. We are still discussing things but this is what we are thinking about. Thoughts?
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Replies (131-133):
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this

the post ANON poated is pretty spot on- however- the military life is hard on a body no matter what they do, whether running thru sand carrying a 100 lb pack, pulling a 180 lb soldier from the line of fine while being shot at. an Air plane mechanic who works on jet engines 10-12 hours a day, climbing miles and miles of ladders a day on a ship.

being a paramedic is hard on a body, being a fire fighter, a policeman, a welder an roofer.

ALL jobs have some enherrant risk- the military has a bit more :)

the CG will require a waiver for dep. but he could be in in 3 months and could be in A school in 4-6 months after boot camp. If he has a degree he will come out of BCT as an e3 and will come out of a school as a rated petty officer.

OP if you have questions about the CG please feel free to ask

SAHM927
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Thank you I really appreciate it!

Quoting gunsgirl:

the post ANON poated is pretty spot on- however- the military life is hard on a body no matter what they do, whether running thru sand carrying a 100 lb pack, pulling a 180 lb soldier from the line of fine while being shot at. an Air plane mechanic who works on jet engines 10-12 hours a day, climbing miles and miles of ladders a day on a ship.

being a paramedic is hard on a body, being a fire fighter, a policeman, a welder an roofer.

ALL jobs have some enherrant risk- the military has a bit more :)

the CG will require a waiver for dep. but he could be in in 3 months and could be in A school in 4-6 months after boot camp. If he has a degree he will come out of BCT as an e3 and will come out of a school as a rated petty officer.

OP if you have questions about the CG please feel free to ask

SAHM927
by Member on Jul. 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM
We have met with a navy recruiter. We are keeping our options open still but the Navy seems to be the direction he may want to go.

Quoting usndolphin:

I didnt have a chance to read all the other posts  did see you looked into navy  and wanted to say look at this also.  I might add if he is not sure  maybe look into reserves.  he can go active once in reserves if he wants.  Medical is usually high demand especially since he already has the education.  you wont get most of the perks, but could help you acclimate better to military life.  Just scope out all the options and what will work for all of you.  

Quoting SAHM927: Thank you. I believe he looked into it but I'm not positive.

Quoting usndolphin:

I would also talk with the coast guard since he is already a medic 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)