Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Husband considering the Army **update

Posted by   + Show Post
I need advice. My husband will be 27 next month and has always had a desire to join the military. He is currently a paramedic and is looking at doing something similar in the military. The Marines would not enlist him as active duty because we have 2 daughters (3y/o & 8 months) but the Army said they would. The recruiter said with his education he would likely enlist as an e-3 and possibly walk right into a combat medic position after training. Does this sound right or is he sugar coating?

Also what has been your experience with transitioning with young children? I'm currently a Sahm but am attending school while family watches our girls and I won't have that luxury on base. What is daycare like? Housing? Wait lists? Is the Army a good choice?

Any advice would be great!

**We spoke with a Navy recruiter today. They said we'd have to have a waiver for 3 dependents but he didn't see an issue. Dh scored well on the practice test and eventually the conversation led to Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I feel comfortable with choice. It can be contracted in his enlistment papers, and it would be up to him to pass the 2 years of training. The attrition rate is about 22%. There are other interests to him as well in the Navy. We are still discussing things but this is what we are thinking about. Thoughts?
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:45 AM

That depends too.

Quoting SAHM927: How are the daycares and housing? What about doctors and hospitals?
Quoting mom2jessnky:

Daycare, Housing, Wait Lists, etc all depend on the base & what you need. 

Where I'm at now if you need housing that allows dogs you're looking at a 6 month wait, if you just need a house or apartment and don't care you'll get something right away but won't have much say in it (they might give you an area to choose but not your house) daycare here has a HUGE waitlist on base, there just aren't enough providers.

But at our last duty station the CDC had immediate availability, there were tons of in home providers (same deal as using the CDC but it was a person doing it out of their house), housng would give you 10 or so houses to pick from, unless you wanted the one hot housing area (why people wanted that crap I still don't know) but even then you'd get right in.

So it just depends. My DH is in the Marines so I can't speak to if the Army is a good choice or not, it depends on you and your family.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
The Army hospital here is tiny. I have no experience there. I know they are sending the retired Air Force there for their PCM care. But anyone at the Army hospital who needs more than just basic care, has to go to either the AF hospital that's about 25 min away or the Navy hospital that is about 55 min away.

The AF hospital here has a bad history and bad reputation that is pretty well warranted. The Navy hospital is great though!!

The CDC here is very hard to get into. Huge waitlist.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Good luck with everything!  My husband is submarine Navy, and he's been in for almost 16 years.  We've been married for 12 years of that.  We've lived in housing twice, once in Hawaii and once in Connecticut...both places were wonderful and we have no complaints.  We had pets in both places as well.  We've never used childcare with the military base though.  We have a medically fragile special needs child, and all of our son's care is at the navy hospital here, and it's beyond amazing.  We couldn't ask for anything better.

tiarra7022
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Depending where you end up the wait list can be for every thing. Houseing can take forever. If you want to use on base doctors there can be a wait for them as well. I would do online courses if possible. You never know when they will leave or get back. On top of deploying when ever the days themselves are not 8-5. They may be gone before you get up come home change eat and be gone again. You have to be flexiable for everything

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:45 PM
My husband wanted to be a medic in the army as well. He joined at age 22. He went to basic training in Georgia, then straight to ait in Texas, no break in between. Then he was stationed at fort drum in northern NY... And then he was immediately deployed to Afghanistan in 2months after ait graduation and being stationed in ft drum. It was pretty hard on us. I moved up there with him after he was done with sit, but after he left for Afghanistan, I just went back home to California until he was done with deployment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:50 PM
That happens a lot too. Especially right after AIT.

Quoting SAHM927: Is there any was they would give you a heads up that that may happen? Because that would really piss me off if we moved only for him to get deployed immediately.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Unless you are going to be finished with school before your husband is finished with both basic training, then medic school, your best bet is to switch to online classes. Either that, or you let him go and stay behind. If you rely heavily on your family, it may be a better option. You have no guarantee that he won't get through both school and training, be assigned to a duty station, and then immediately deploy for a year. My advice is to just stay where you are, with your family, and then see where the chips fall. Lots of people just end up moving back home when they discover their spouse will be gone for a year or two, anyway.

sahmw2010
by Beth on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:43 PM
Sorry sweety, but its the joys of this life. Every duty station he has been sent to, he has deployed within a few months. So when we leave here, i am prepared for another deployment. Thankfully they are supposed to be down to 9months now, but i have no clue. All of his has been 12+ months. Learn to be independent and keep yourself busy. I find with my kids, attitude is everything. If im bitchibg and moaning, not only will i be miserable, but they will be also. So each move is an adventure. We research the area before hand and make a "trip list" on everything we want to see and do while there

Quoting SAHM927: Is there any was they would give you a heads up that that may happen? Because that would really piss me off if we moved only for him to get deployed immediately.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Unless you are going to be finished with school before your husband is finished with both basic training, then medic school, your best bet is to switch to online classes. Either that, or you let him go and stay behind. If you rely heavily on your family, it may be a better option. You have no guarantee that he won't get through both school and training, be assigned to a duty station, and then immediately deploy for a year. My advice is to just stay where you are, with your family, and then see where the chips fall. Lots of people just end up moving back home when they discover their spouse will be gone for a year or two, anyway.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM
You won't know anything concrete until he gets orders for AIT and thrn orders for a duty station. Hurry up and wait is the motto. No news is good news is another. If yoi go in wanting to know what you can get you will be miserable. From the replies you have given I would venture to say you would not like the Army lifestyle.
SAHM927
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM
He is also considering the navy. Apparently they have great medical training that could potentially further his skill set.

Quoting SlapItHigh: The Army hospital here is tiny. I have no experience there. I know they are sending the retired Air Force there for their PCM care. But anyone at the Army hospital who needs more than just basic care, has to go to either the AF hospital that's about 25 min away or the Navy hospital that is about 55 min away.

The AF hospital here has a bad history and bad reputation that is pretty well warranted. The Navy hospital is great though!!

The CDC here is very hard to get into. Huge waitlist.
SAHM927
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Thank you. We have also been discussing the Navy today because they have good options for paramedics. You've had mostly positive experiences?

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Good luck with everything!  My husband is submarine Navy, and he's been in for almost 16 years.  We've been married for 12 years of that.  We've lived in housing twice, once in Hawaii and once in Connecticut...both places were wonderful and we have no complaints.  We had pets in both places as well.  We've never used childcare with the military base though.  We have a medically fragile special needs child, and all of our son's care is at the navy hospital here, and it's beyond amazing.  We couldn't ask for anything better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)