Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Husband considering the Army **update

Posted by   + Show Post
I need advice. My husband will be 27 next month and has always had a desire to join the military. He is currently a paramedic and is looking at doing something similar in the military. The Marines would not enlist him as active duty because we have 2 daughters (3y/o & 8 months) but the Army said they would. The recruiter said with his education he would likely enlist as an e-3 and possibly walk right into a combat medic position after training. Does this sound right or is he sugar coating?

Also what has been your experience with transitioning with young children? I'm currently a Sahm but am attending school while family watches our girls and I won't have that luxury on base. What is daycare like? Housing? Wait lists? Is the Army a good choice?

Any advice would be great!

**We spoke with a Navy recruiter today. They said we'd have to have a waiver for 3 dependents but he didn't see an issue. Dh scored well on the practice test and eventually the conversation led to Aviation Rescue Swimmer. I feel comfortable with choice. It can be contracted in his enlistment papers, and it would be up to him to pass the 2 years of training. The attrition rate is about 22%. There are other interests to him as well in the Navy. We are still discussing things but this is what we are thinking about. Thoughts?
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Replies (41-50):
SAHM927
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Maybe with his college education (he had 2 associates) and his experience and skills as a paramedic they may find him useful? I don't know.. I'm new to all of this and trying to get information.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma: I believe in the Army with three dependants you need a waiver. Branches used to do a lot of waivers but with force shaping they are a lot harder to get. Why waiver in married guy with two kids when you can sign am eighteen year old with no dependants? It has gotten a lot tougher to get waivets and I don't know that the Navy would waiver that many dependants anyway.
Quoting SAHM927: Don't they allow waivers often times?
Quoting NickLukeandEmma: You would be considered one as well.
Quoting SAHM927: Would I be considered a dependent? We have 2 kids.
Quoting NickLukeandEmma: I believe that three dependants are too many to join the Navy.
Quoting SAHM927: He is also considering the navy. Apparently they have great medical training that could potentially further his skill set.
Quoting SlapItHigh: The Army hospital here is tiny. I have no experience there. I know they are sending the retired Air Force there for their PCM care. But anyone at the Army hospital who needs more than just basic care, has to go to either the AF hospital that's about 25 min away or the Navy hospital that is about 55 min away.

The AF hospital here has a bad history and bad reputation that is pretty well warranted. The Navy hospital is great though!!

The CDC here is very hard to get into. Huge waitlist.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM
I was the one that told you last night AF is a better choice. I'm being very serious and very honest right now, after speaking to my husband today I would strongly advise against the Army.
SAHM927
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM
Why is that?

Quoting Anonymous: I was the one that told you last night AF is a better choice. I'm being very serious and very honest right now, after speaking to my husband today I would strongly advise against the Army.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I would love to say but I can't. Things are in motion as of now. It could get ugly somewhere shortly. That means deployments and army goes for long stretches. Army is already in the theatre.

Quoting SAHM927: Why is that?

Quoting Anonymous: I was the one that told you last night AF is a better choice. I'm being very serious and very honest right now, after speaking to my husband today I would strongly advise against the Army.
SAHM927
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM
But won't other branches follow suit?

Quoting Anonymous: I would love to say but I can't. Things are in motion as of now. It could get ugly somewhere shortly. That means deployments and army goes for long stretches. Army is already in the theatre.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM
I don't know the deployment lengths for Navy. You said he can't do Marines. AF is 6 months. Much easier than 12. My husband is on a team and he is in theatre for only a couple weeks. He is in the thick of it and I've never been so thankful that his current career is not deployable.

Quoting SAHM927: But won't other branches follow suit?

Quoting Anonymous: I would love to say but I can't. Things are in motion as of now. It could get ugly somewhere shortly. That means deployments and army goes for long stretches. Army is already in the theatre.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 30, 2014 at 6:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  You have to realize that no job is perfect, and there will be times you will be frustrated or sad when your spouse is gone.  That is part of this life.  Your spouse being in the military affects your entire family.  You have to be very independent and realize that he can and will deploy on a moment's notice and there's nothing you can do about it.  You accept it and learn to deal with it.  Good luck!

Quoting SAHM927: Thank you. We have also been discussing the Navy today because they have good options for paramedics. You've had mostly positive experiences?
Quoting darbyakeep45:

Good luck with everything!  My husband is submarine Navy, and he's been in for almost 16 years.  We've been married for 12 years of that.  We've lived in housing twice, once in Hawaii and once in Connecticut...both places were wonderful and we have no complaints.  We had pets in both places as well.  We've never used childcare with the military base though.  We have a medically fragile special needs child, and all of our son's care is at the navy hospital here, and it's beyond amazing.  We couldn't ask for anything better.

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on Jun. 30, 2014 at 8:53 PM
4 moms liked this

Iraq? It isn't a secret. There are already hundred's of SF troops there. If it is anywhere else the Army won't be going in alone. I love all the cloak and dagger shit posted by anons. Didn't you read he has three dependants? The AF won't take him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:02 PM
I cannot say where he is and what he's doing. His job is not typical. The news isn't even a representation of half of what is going on. It's not cloak and dagger shit. It's called OPSEC. My husbands safety is not worth you knowing everything. I merely gave the girl a heads up.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Iraq? It isn't a secret. There are already hundred's of SF troops there. If it is anywhere else the Army won't be going in alone. I love all the cloak and dagger shit posted by anons. Didn't you read he has three dependants? The AF won't take him.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM
We have 3 kids. Are you asking about experiences in military hospitals or just general experiences?

Quoting SAHM927: What have your experiences been like? How many kids do you have?

Quoting SlapItHigh: My husband is Navy but we are assigned to the Air Force hospital for our primary care.

Quoting SAHM927: He is also considering the navy. Apparently they have great medical training that could potentially further his skill set.

Quoting SlapItHigh: The Army hospital here is tiny. I have no experience there. I know they are sending the retired Air Force there for their PCM care. But anyone at the Army hospital who needs more than just basic care, has to go to either the AF hospital that's about 25 min away or the Navy hospital that is about 55 min away.

The AF hospital here has a bad history and bad reputation that is pretty well warranted. The Navy hospital is great though!!

The CDC here is very hard to get into. Huge waitlist.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN