• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving tip number?? update on page 2

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't know if this will actually be helpful or not. I love making life easier. Don't we need all the help we can get??big smile mini

You know how you get to your next place and you have one person marking off the list for every box to make sure they are all there when they unload the truck? Well we can't speed that up too fast but... and I just think I'm a genius with this! Come on, work with me here bubba! If the movers come pack EVERYthing in ONE day and then come back the next day to load? I have had that happen before. When they leave that evening, get you some color tape, depending on how neon your daughter is (if you have a girl). Assign a color for each room. My one twin likes purple, the other green. So, I am going to wrap a strip around every box they left in her room with purple. When I see that strip of purple on the box come off the truck, after I have found the number sticker on the box, I will say take to.....yada yada's room. I will have a strip of tape hanging from the top of the door frame to match up. Right now my sil and mil are going to be helping me unpack but this way I don't have to worry about 10 people telling the movers different directions of where things go and I can stand outside with my mark off list.

by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Good idea!  Good thing we are never moving again.  LOL!

mom2jessnky
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM

LOL

mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Good idea. We just PCS'd. The movers broke our washer and dryer, two antique dressers and our custom built desktop computer. So my tip would be:

Be there before the movers so it doesn't have to be put in storage
mrspeterrabbit
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Amen to that, me neither :)

Quoting darbyakeep45:

Good idea!  Good thing we are never moving again.  LOL!

DoofusAloofus
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Great idea! I'm still in the... "going through the closets and garage and figuring out where all this crap came from and what I can get rid of and not have to pack/unpack" stage...  Ugh.. Three totes in and I'm ready for a drink! lol

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:39 PM

So sorry to hear that. Unfortunately our goods will have to go in storage till I get there. Yeah, the less times your stuff has to move, the better. I just hope I will get keys to a place when I get there. House hunting has not been in our favor this time around.

Quoting mnkymommy08: Good idea. We just PCS'd. The movers broke our washer and dryer, two antique dressers and our custom built desktop computer. So my tip would be: Be there before the movers so it doesn't have to be put in storage

mnkymommy08
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM
We ended up with on post housing (our first time in almost 10 yrs) and luckily we only had a two day wait. We got the new housing too with a neighborhood splash pad, pool and gym. No way we could have gotten the room we needed for 4 kids off post here st Sill in a decent neighborhood. Where are you PCSing to?

Quoting twinkersmom:

So sorry to hear that. Unfortunately our goods will have to go in storage till I get there. Yeah, the less times your stuff has to move, the better. I just hope I will get keys to a place when I get there. House hunting has not been in our favor this time around.

Quoting mnkymommy08: Good idea. We just PCS'd. The movers broke our washer and dryer, two antique dressers and our custom built desktop computer. So my tip would be:

Be there before the movers so it doesn't have to be put in storage

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM

To Mayport/Jax, Fl. We can't fit into housing and I wouldn't want to be on base. His grandmother is 96. We will be close to help his mom out with her.

cocoroo
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 4:35 AM

My HHG get delivered on Friday.  I'm kind of scared to see what shape everything is in.  It went from Washington to Germany.  It arrived here last week and has been in storage since.  There are only a few things I would upset about if it was broken.  Fingers crossed.

Lilfranks
by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Thank you that is genius. We are moving and they come to pack our stuff in a week and I'm so going to do this. This idea has take some stress off my shoulder already. You are awesome
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)