Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help with college question for military spouse

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I thought you're given residential status for any college anywhere in the US if you are in the military or if you're a military spouse?

I'm trying to get my degree and my college, I've applied for in this new state we moved to still have me as non resident status, which is ridiculously expensive for me.
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SneezyAl
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:26 PM
There should be a form on the school's website to fill out. You can also take a copy of orders to the college business office.
Zan1111
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:31 PM
They didn't have a form, but on the application they asked if I was military related..and also they asked for my dh's LES, everything has gone through. They even awarded me financial aid..and I've applied since march..school starts in September...

Quoting SneezyAl: There should be a form on the school's website to fill out. You can also take a copy of orders to the college business office.
SneezyAl
by Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Just call them tomorrow. They just need to take off the non resident fees.

Quoting Zan1111: They didn't have a form, but on the application they asked if I was military related..and also they asked for my dh's LES, everything has gone through. They even awarded me financial aid..and I've applied since march..school starts in September...

Quoting SneezyAl: There should be a form on the school's website to fill out. You can also take a copy of orders to the college business office.
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jun. 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM

No clue as I haven't dealt with this before...Good luck!

sahmw2010
by on Jun. 29, 2014 at 5:35 PM
I always assumed "resident/non resident" was living quarter status. As in living at the school. My first bout of college before we were married, i was a state resident, but was still a "non resident" because i was not in the dorms
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM

confused

Quoting sahmw2010: I always assumed "resident/non resident" was living quarter status. As in living at the school. My first bout of college before we were married, i was a state resident, but was still a "non resident" because i was not in the dorms

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this
No. Non-resident status means you pay higher tuition.

Quoting sahmw2010: I always assumed "resident/non resident" was living quarter status. As in living at the school. My first bout of college before we were married, i was a state resident, but was still a "non resident" because i was not in the dorms
Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:25 PM
Some schools I attended required 6 months of instate living to be classified as a "resident", if I remember correctly. I would clarify what resident means with your school.
Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Also wanted to say, talk with the school/counselor. They may give military family/veteran discounts that would negate the additional nonresident fees.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM

there is a new law- take this to the finance office of your school- http://www.militaryfamily.org/get-info/spouse-education/financial-assistance/in-state-tuition.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)