Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What do you call it?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM
  • 55 Replies

I swear, sometimes Kansas seems like a foreign land. I've been here about a year now, and was stationed here with my parents when I was very young, but I still don't speak the language. This isn't just pop vs. soda either.

What I call maple bars, they call Long Johns. Seriously, I was craving maple bars for months before I figured that out, and not one donut shop employee could figure out what I wanted.

Tubing where I'm from is where you float down the river in an intertube with a cooler and hang out, over here it's an extreme sport, and people were shocked that I wanted to tube while pregnant.

We call them potato bugs, the rolly-polly ones, and over here I guess potato bugs only live on potatoes, go figure.

The list goes on and on. Anyone else have any stories like this? It's crazy how words and phrases can vary so much place to place.

by on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I remember moving to Ohio and being rather confused by people talking about sweeping the rug.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM
9 moms liked this

I've been to places where they have different names for things, but never somewhere where they couldn't figure out what I meant if I used a different term for something.

I'm assuming a Maple bar is that long donut with maple frosting on it? I would think that anyone that can't figure that out shouldn't be left alone for extended periods of time. If anything it would be more confusing the other way around. Long John doesn't describe anything about what it is. Also on my planet Long Johns are thermal undergarments (the thermal shirt and pants you wear under your normal clothes when it's really cold). So a person from Kansas would be screwed around me if they couldn't describe it.  Either that or you encountered someone that is an asshat and was playing dumb just to be a dick, which is just as bad.

Potato bugs are satanic disgusting evil things, Rolly Pollies are NOT the same thing. Rolly Polly=Pill Bug. Potato bug= WTF IS THAT!!! KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I'm from West Virginia and I had to stop using certain words and phrases because people in other parts of world had no idea what I was talking about. Example- reddin up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM
They don't use the word vacuum here. My mom "runs the sweeper". I moved back here (WV) when I retired and had to relearn the local lingo.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I remember moving to Ohio and being rather confused by people talking about sweeping the rug.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
USAFamily
by Melissa on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:38 PM
3 moms liked this

The worst is British English VS American English

Never, ever, under any circumstances refer to a fanny pack in any context when talking to a Brit. They use the literal translation :|

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM
I'm from CA, and well I would eat chocolate bars, and called the bugs rolly polly's. Here in CO, they call the bars long John's too. I still call it by what I know, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:42 PM
Hahaha! I love this whole response!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I've been to places where they have different names for things, but never somewhere where they couldn't figure out what I meant if I used a different term for something.

I'm assuming a Maple bar is that long donut with maple frosting on it? I would think that anyone that can't figure that out shouldn't be left alone for extended periods of time. If anything it would be more confusing the other way around. Long John doesn't describe anything about what it is. Also on my planet Long Johns are thermal undergarments (the thermal shirt and pants you wear under your normal clothes when it's really cold). So a person from Kansas would be screwed around me if they couldn't describe it.  Either that or you encountered someone that is an asshat and was playing dumb just to be a dick, which is just as bad.

Potato bugs are satanic disgusting evil things, Rolly Pollies are NOT the same thing. Rolly Polly=Pill Bug. Potato bug= WTF IS THAT!!! KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmeow
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Please educate me. What could that possibly mean? Like, literally sweeping a rug?

Quoting B1Bomber:

B1Bomber
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It means vacuum. They occasionally call the machine a vacuum, but they never use it as a verb. Typically they are using a sweeper to sweep the rug.

I, of course, sweep with a broom and vacuum with a vacuum.

Quoting kmeow:

Please educate me. What could that possibly mean? Like, literally sweeping a rug?

Quoting B1Bomber:

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I went to three places and they were all confused. They also look different around here so I couldn't just point one out. D:

I'm mostly from Washington, and we all call them potato bugs lol. When I say my house is borderline infested with potato bugs, everyone from home talked about how at least they're the cutest possible member of the bug world, and there were a million worse things. Over here, I mentioned to my friend that we had a ton of potato bugs in our new house and she freaked out and was right about in your camp, with it's better to lose a deposit and get the hell out than sweep them outside and spray.

ETA: Sweet mother of god. I just googled them.

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN