Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Babies Born at Military Hospitals Twice as Likely to Be Injured

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:30 PM
  • 68 Replies
Report: Babies born at military hospitals twice as likely to be injured during delivery
POSTED 5:12 PM, JULY 1, 2014, BY LAURIE SIMMONS, UPDATED AT 08:37PM, JULY 1, 2014
It’s a military family’s biggest healthcare decision–whether to be treated at a military hospital, or seek care in the civilian world.
For expecting moms, startling new statistics on child birth at military hospitals might have them running to private hospitals.

An investigation by the New York Times uncovered Pentagon statistics that show military hospitals, compared to civilian hospitals, had higher than expected rates of harm and complications when it came to maternity care and surgery.

More than 50,000 babies are born at military hospitals each year, but according to statistics uncovered by the New York Times, they are twice as likely to be injured during delivery as babies born at civilian hospitals.

In addition, mothers who delivered at military hospitals were more likely to hemorrhage after childbirth than mothers who delivered at civilian hospitals, according to a 2012 analysis conducted for the Pentagon.

The Times investigation also uncovered disturbing cases of malpractice in military hospitals.

One included a fetus dying after a surgeon operated on the wrong part of the mother’s body.

According to records obtained by the newspaper, the government paid an average of $100 million in malpractice claims each year from 2006-2010.

That included payment for claims concerning surgery, maternity and neonatal care.

Those numbers also don’t really tell the whole story, because active duty service members who use military hospitals are not allowed to sue for malpractice.

If they were, the Congressional Budget Office estimates those claims’ payouts would have tripled to $300 million a year.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered a review of all military hospitals just last month, saying he wanted to determine if they had the same problems the VA system has been dealing with.

Hagel said the review would study access to treatment, quality of care and patient safety.
by on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:36 PM

One of MANY reasons I chose to have Tricare Standard. I didn't know any real statistics but the rumors about our MTF were so bad that I wasn't going to chance it.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:41 PM
OMG stillborns and c-sections gone wrong are so common in the Army world!!! Luckily I had a bad c-section and no stillborn. I was in the room with a friend when she found out her baby was dead. She had been to L&D daily for a week complaining of decreased fetal movements. She was over 40 weeks when the ultrasound detected death. Smh.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. Interesting. I have heard horror stories, no doubt. I will say I have had 2 births at MTFs and each went without incident and I enjoyed my experience.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:54 PM
I lost my only daughter halfway through my pregnancy due to medical neglect at my local MTF. Then I nearly died myself due to the same neglect.

Out of 4 pregnancies, all started at my local MTF, I transferred out for free (while remaining on Prime) for 3 of them due to neglect. The only 1 I didn't transfer out for, ended up not resulting in a love birth (pregnancy #3).
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM
*live birth
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM
I know what you mean about the rumors.

Quoting mandaschelle:

One of MANY reasons I chose to have Tricare Standard. I didn't know any real statistics but the rumors about our MTF were so bad that I wasn't going to chance it.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:56 PM
That's so sad about your friend :(.

Quoting mrsary: OMG stillborns and c-sections gone wrong are so common in the Army world!!! Luckily I had a bad c-section and no stillborn. I was in the room with a friend when she found out her baby was dead. She had been to L&D daily for a week complaining of decreased fetal movements. She was over 40 weeks when the ultrasound detected death. Smh.
SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I'm glad you had good experiences! Any people do and that's a good thing :).

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Wow. Interesting. I have heard horror stories, no doubt. I will say I have had 2 births at MTFs and each went without incident and I enjoyed my experience.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 1, 2014 at 11:57 PM
*many, not any.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 2, 2014 at 2:19 AM
2 moms liked this
Having my second baby at a military hospital was the word experience I've ever had in a hospital. I was considered high risk so I had to come in weekly for check ups and I saw 6 "drs" at least. Half of them didn't even know why I was being seen when I came in and only one of them listened to my concerns. Unprofessional, sometimes even nasty.
The labor and delivery was similar. I'm just glad my son is ok!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)