Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

That step-parent adoption/infidelity thing... S/O

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM
  • 16 Replies
So that lady with the diddling husband and pregnant baby mama got me thinking.

What if it ISNT his kid? Like, he signs the papers and everything, but a DNA test would have shown it wasn't his kid, what happens then?

Hypothetical: she's pregnant and says it has to be his because she didn't have sex with anyone else, and he believes her. The kid is born normal and everything, and he signs the birth certificate, but it's really someone else's kid. No one does a DNA test, they just accept the kid as his.
by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anchorgurl
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM

In that case he has claimed responsibility for the child because he includes his name on the birth certificate and then and legally responsible for the child.  It wouldn't be the first time that happened.   My brother adopted a child who was 7 months old when he was married (the second time).  Now that he is divorced he is legally responsible for the child, pays child support, provides health insurance, etc.  When you take legal responsibility, you take legal responsibility.   This also explains why some men choose not to put their names on a birth certificate...someone has to come after them to establish paternity and make them pay.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:12 PM

She said she could not have kids anymore and they were considering adopting anyway. I think biology wouldn't really matter so much. If the OW was out of the picture, they could live happily ever after with the baby. It would not be any different than adopting a baby from the system.

BubbyAndShmee
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I just wondered like, as far as tricare and everything, if it came out later, couldn't he be punished for fraud or something?
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:38 PM

No. He would be fine.

Quoting BubbyAndShmee: I just wondered like, as far as tricare and everything, if it came out later, couldn't he be punished for fraud or something?

Photobucket

BubbyAndShmee
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Oh ok. I was just curious.

Quoting usmclife58:

No. He would be fine.

Quoting BubbyAndShmee: I just wondered like, as far as tricare and everything, if it came out later, couldn't he be punished for fraud or something?

lilmama8408
by Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM
A friend of mines husband just got a large fine from the military and dropped rank due to cheating on her.
No she didn't report it but word got out and he was found guilty.
I'd be really careful about not just adopting it as a "strange" child because it would really affect them
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If he was found guilty, there was more than word of mouth. A lot more. The order for that gives fairly specific conditions on how one can be charged. 

However, since she cannot have kids and they were looking for adopting, it would be an easy "surrogate" fix. The only way it would cause problems is if the wife wants to press the issue.

Quoting lilmama8408: A friend of mines husband just got a large fine from the military and dropped rank due to cheating on her. No she didn't report it but word got out and he was found guilty. I'd be really careful about not just adopting it as a "strange" child because it would really affect them

Photobucket

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

This, you sign the title, it's yours.

Quoting anchorgurl:

In that case he has claimed responsibility for the child because he includes his name on the birth certificate and then and legally responsible for the child.  It wouldn't be the first time that happened.   My brother adopted a child who was 7 months old when he was married (the second time).  Now that he is divorced he is legally responsible for the child, pays child support, provides health insurance, etc.  When you take legal responsibility, you take legal responsibility.   This also explains why some men choose not to put their names on a birth certificate...someone has to come after them to establish paternity and make them pay.

toriandgrace
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:43 AM
At least in the state of Maryland, that's not true. He could go to court and have it overturned based on fraud.

http://www.peoples-law.org/paternity

Quoting anchorgurl:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 6:33 AM

Funny that you should ask that, Miss 27 likes.......

eye rolling

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN