Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Mom Turns Fallen Soldiers' Uniforms Into Beautiful Teddy Bears

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mom Turns Fallen Soldiers' Uniforms Into Beautiful Teddy Bears to Help Comfort Loved Ones​

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

matthew freeman projectShortly after Lisa Freeman's son, Matthew, was killed in action nine days after being deployed to Afghanistan in 2009, she established the Matthew Freeman Project, a nonprofit that provides school supplies for kids in war-torn countries and gives scholarships to siblings of deceased soldiers. But Lisa recently added a new aspect to her organization: Turning fallen servicemen's uniforms into teddy bears as a means to help comfort children who have lost family members in combat. The result? Beautifully made stuffed animals that, hopefully, will offer tangible comfort to those mourning their loved ones. 

The concept of creating a teddy bear or a blanket out of a late loved one's clothing isn't unheard of. Numerous companies offer similar services, turning old t-shirts into quilts, or a favorite pair of jeans into a stuffed animal. But there's something extra special about a serviceman or woman's uniform being transformed into something one can cuddle with and take around with them. Not only is it a physical reminder of the person being mourned, it's a physical reminder of what that person believed in, fought for, and their heroic mission in life.

This is such a truly touching and wonderful project. And hopefully, in some way, it's cathartic for Lisa to make these bears.

If you're interested in having a "Matthew Bear" made for your child, contact Lisa at lfreeman@freemanproject.org, along with the names of your children, their relationship to the fallen service member, and the address they will be sent to. You will need to supply name of the fallen service member and the death certificate. For more information, visit FreemanProject.org.

What do you think of turning a deceased loved one's clothing or uniform into a teddy bear or blanket?

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this

If it brings their family peace and comfort, I see nothing wrong with it.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:09 AM

I agree with Melissa.  I've seen this before on FB or the news or something...can't remember!

sgtLF
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM

yes

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM
I think it is a nice idea to provide comfort to families.
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I think it's great!
denise3680
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 7:28 AM

If this is what the family needs to get them through a time like that then by all means I am all for it.

bowtieqt35
by Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 8:53 AM

She could put a pocket from the uniform on the back of the bear & make the arms into straps & the kids would have a backpack then. I know my kids wouldve loved that when they were little & daddy was always gone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN