Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Okay fine Lowe's, DON'T take my money.

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

Backstory: I like my house in housing, I do. But I hate the fridge, I'm pretty convinced that housing bought it off Craigslist or possibly even just got it off of Freecycle, it's small, old as sin, and looks like it got dropped down a set of stairs (which is weird since there are no stairs leading to the kitchen). I called and asked about it. Doesn't matter that it's so small it barely holds a week's worth of food, or that it looks like hell, or that it's an energy vampire because it's OLD, not their problem. So I asked "Can I buy my own fridge and have your hot tranny wreck of a fridge removed?" Yes I can. Awesome that's what I'm doing. I figure we'd be buying a fridge at some point anyway, why not get it over with.

So yesterday we went to Lowe's for Mission: Buy Fridge. I bought my washer & dryer at a different Lowe's and they were awesome so that was why we went there. We walk around looking at fridges, oogling new fancy features, and narrowing down options. This whole time not one employee has said a thing to us, we haven't even seen an employee in that section yet. Whatever. We narrow it down between 2 fridges, but had a couple questions, so DH goes and looks for someone, he finds a guy and says we have questions, the guy tells him rather rudely "You need to wait, I'm busy"  ooooh-kay. We waited though...for 25 minutes, never saw that guy or anyone else again.

After the 25 minutes we left, if you don't want my money, I won't force it on you.

Went to Home Depot, and the difference was night & day, we had several employees MORE than happy to help us, also the fridge we decided on (same brand & model we were looking at in Lowe's) was $100 cheaper there. They made the whole process super easy, and my new fridge will be delivered next week. :)

I sent Lowe's an email this morning telling them how they lost a $2,000 sale to their competition. Sure it's not a kitchen remodel, but I don't think 2 grand is something to stick your nose up at either.

Thankfully my bad customer service stories are few and far between... but since moving back to San Diego, that was the second  time a person in a customer service job has told us that we need to wait because they're busy. The first time was at Whole Foods, I almost expect it there...fucking hipsters.

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I hate bad service! Glad you sent them an email. Maybe their manager will do something about that department. But we live at Home Depot, lol. We've done all our bathroom renovations through them, and have had great customer service each time. I assumed it was because my husband has a pro card through them, but everyone we have been to across the country has given us pretty good service. We had a bad experience years ago at lowes, and we swore after being mistreated, we wouldn't set foot in one again. But yea for anew and improved fridge!!!

violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
We've had less then stellar customer service at Lowe's as well. When we remodeled our bathroom, we could also never get any help. When we finally found someone, we asked about a tub, and they said it would be two weeks out for order and delivery since they don't carry any of the jetted tubs in the store.

We decided to go across the street, literally, to Home Depot. A lot of the stuff we looked at previously at Lowe's was cheaper. We found the exact same tub, which was about $100 less as well, and they had it in the store, and we purchased it that same day. I'm convinced there are some stores and businesses that just don't want to work or do business, it's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Ugh, I don't know what is with Lowes lately, the 1 here is the same way. There's no one to help and the few people you can find are useless. The Home Depot is fantastic. Here they are literally across the street from each other so it's pretty stupid on Lowes' part because it doesn't take any extra effort to go to the competition.

adoptivemomof1
by Mel on Jul. 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM
I hate bad customer service and love that you sent an email!
Susan0805
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I can relate to the horrible fridge story... At our last base the fridge went out THREE times! Housing maintaince came and "repaired" it. I all but begged them to bring me a different fridge but they refused. I had to throw out every thing in my fridge THREE times! It was so frustrating, afterwards I just could not trust the thing at all and only kept the essentials in there. We resently moved and the most exciting thing about this house and one of my stipulations was a trustworthy fridge, LOL. This one even has an ice maker, its amazing! Anywho, bad customer service really chaps me. It's like, you have one job!! If you are friendly and meet your clients needs in a timely and efficient manner, the sales will follow. Most people just do not understand that. sigh.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM
This is why we just bought our own. Last duty station I had 2 fridges break, I'm not having that happen here if I can avoid it.

Quoting Susan0805:

I can relate to the horrible fridge story... At our last base the fridge went out THREE times! Housing maintaince came and "repaired" it. I all but begged them to bring me a different fridge but they refused. I had to throw out every thing in my fridge THREE times! It was so frustrating, afterwards I just could not trust the thing at all and only kept the essentials in there. We resently moved and the most exciting thing about this house and one of my stipulations was a trustworthy fridge, LOL. This one even has an ice maker, its amazing! Anywho, bad customer service really chaps me. It's like, you have one job!! If you are friendly and meet your clients needs in a timely and efficient manner, the sales will follow. Most people just do not understand that. sigh.

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM

See, I've had that same experience at Home Depot and good experiences at Lowes...guess it just depends on where you are.  Anyway, glad you were able to get what you needed at a good price!

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Ugh, crappy customer service stinks. Good for you for writing them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)